• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cases that aren't "too thick"

dishe

Nov 22, 2010
One of the reasons I opted for the F3 is the size of the thing- fits nicely in a slim jean pocket or shirt pocket in ways other phones can't.

But I'd like to carry it in a case in case it gets dropped. I looked into a few cases on amazon, but some of the reviews said it makes the phone feel like double the thickness and harder to slip out of pockets it used to fit just fine inside of.

Are there any recommended simple and thin cases? Not looking for top-notch protection, just something to keep it from getting scuffed if I put it down on my keys, etc.

Upvote 0
I have this on my f3 protected it well the couple of times i dropped it. Very thin and sturdy easy to put in pockets and such. Bought a film protector for the glass also to protect screen.

Case
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQEIMFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen protector
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZG6IZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice! Going to try and see if there are cheaper options (I see a lot of cases, including some with kickstands, for $5-6). Not that I'm such a cheapskate, but considering I just picked up this phone for less than $50, I feel silly spending a third of its value on additional accessories to protect it! ;)

you don't need a case on this phone. it is basically indestructible.

ROFL - I feel like these smaller devices DO last longer, to be honest. My little Galaxy Victory I had before this fell off a second story balcony to pavement below, and only got minor nicks and scratches to the plastic sides. Screen and everything else was perfect. HTC EVO LTE (HTC One X) I borrowed from a friend fell off my desk at work, barely 2-3 feet, and the LCD developed bleed spots. I mean, come on!

Honestly, the desire for a case is mostly because the rear of the phone is so smooth, I'm afraid it will slip out. I wish it were rubberized like the original Optimus was. I'm even considering just buying an extra battery door cover and applying some plastidip on it to see if that works. :)

Upvote 0
Nice! Going to try and see if there are cheaper options (I see a lot of cases, including some with kickstands, for $5-6). Not that I'm such a cheapskate, but considering I just picked up this phone for less than $50, I feel silly spending a third of its value on additional accessories to protect it! ;)

ROFL - I feel like these smaller devices DO last longer, to be honest. My little Galaxy Victory I had before this fell off a second story balcony to pavement below, and only got minor nicks and scratches to the plastic sides. Screen and everything else was perfect. HTC EVO LTE (HTC One X) I borrowed from a friend fell off my desk at work, barely 2-3 feet, and the LCD developed bleed spots. I mean, come on!

Honestly, the desire for a case is mostly because the rear of the phone is so smooth, I'm afraid it will slip out. I wish it were rubberized like the original Optimus was. I'm even considering just buying an extra battery door cover and applying some plastidip on it to see if that works. :)
that's the thing... you don't need the grip because if you drop it nothings going to happen except if you drop it in a toilet...

Upvote 0
that's the thing... you don't need the grip because if you drop it nothings going to happen except if you drop it in a toilet...

Oh come on, the side of the phone won't get nicked up? My wife has the LG Mach, which is more-or-less the same phone but with a sliding KB (and more memory- 8GB internal). Same stylings and trimmings, she often mistakes my phone for hers since I got this.
She's far less careful with her phone than I, so I've had to order her a case. A week into owning it and she's added some "character" to the trim from accidental falls. Are you telling me that this F3 is tougher than that one?

Upvote 0

Ugh. I just dropped mine out of a shirt pocket onto my driveway. Face down. This morning I was admiring how the edges of this phone are so perfect and shiny, and while the screen didn't crack at all, it definitely doesn't look as nice as it did 15 minutes ago.

Ready to pull the trigger on a cheap case.

I like the TPU cases for the grip. I have one on my Victory. Never got one for the F3 though because there's a Sprint version and AT&T version and the speaker cut out is on different sides. So be careful.

I remember having a TPU case for my LG Marquee. I loved it. That might be a way to go here.

I also bought the Incipio (linked above) for my F3. Greatly improves grip and provides some protection as well. It's so thin that the phone still fits in a leather case designed for the F3.

WATYF

Hey now, THAT sounds promising! Minimal size addition!

Upvote 0
So, just to follow up with my case adventures...

I saw a few really enticing options that offer a 2-way kickstand built into the cover (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8GS66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I recognized that there is no such thing as a minimal case that offered that. But at less than $5, I figured why not try it out? Worst case scenario I'll also get a small case and switch off.

Now here's the bad:
Yes, the kickstand case is big (its actually two cases, a rubber and plastic layered over each other), but when it came, the 2 parts didn't fit onto each other properly! The rubber part was for the T-mobile version (MS659), with the hard corners on top and mic hole on the wrong side of the USB port, but the outer plastic was for the LS720 (Sprint version, which is what I have!). I emailed the Amazon seller, who promptly sent me a replacement... with the same problem.
I took a picture to show him:
f3problem_zpstq29h52t.jpg

He gave me a full refund, and I decided to hit up ebay for some cheap TPU cases.

Turns out black TPU cases for the LS720 are not so common these days. Most of the sellers only had white or bright colors in stock, so I went with a white. It arrived, and fit well enough, but now I've learned a few things about white cases:
1) When they get dirty (and they will), they show everything. TPU seems to absorb dirt and stains. I got my hands dirty poking under the hood of my car, and now there are fingerprints and smudges on the case. I did some googling to see if there are any proposed solutions to clean them, and found a whole slew of people complaining that not only do they absorb dirt and grease, they also yellow over time with regular use. I used to have a black case on my old phone so I never noticed, but apparently this white case would have yellowed over a month or two even if I hadn't smudged it. So, basically, if you go TPU, only get dark colors. That explains why black is sold out, maybe?

2) The F3 is actually a pretty good looking phone. The white case on it? Not so much. Some family members actually pointed out that it looks kind of feminine with the white case.

Sooooo.... I'm back to square one. The big kickstand case was a bust, and I'm not happy with the TPU case. I'm sharing this in case anyone else is in my situation and considering any of the same things I am. Learn from my mistakes.

I'll update this post with whatever I get next.

Upvote 0
So, just to follow up with my case adventures...

I saw a few really enticing options that offer a 2-way kickstand built into the cover (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8GS66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I recognized that there is no such thing as a minimal case that offered that. But at less than $5, I figured why not try it out? Worst case scenario I'll also get a small case and switch off.

Now here's the bad:
Yes, the kickstand case is big (its actually two cases, a rubber and plastic layered over each other), but when it came, the 2 parts didn't fit onto each other properly! The rubber part was for the T-mobile version (MS659), with the hard corners on top and mic hole on the wrong side of the USB port, but the outer plastic was for the LS720 (Sprint version, which is what I have!). I emailed the Amazon seller, who promptly sent me a replacement... with the same problem.
I took a picture to show him:

He gave me a full refund, and I decided to hit up ebay for some cheap TPU cases.

Turns out black TPU cases for the LS720 are not so common these days. Most of the sellers only had white or bright colors in stock, so I went with a white. It arrived, and fit well enough, but now I've learned a few things about white cases:
1) When they get dirty (and they will), they show everything. TPU seems to absorb dirt and stains. I got my hands dirty poking under the hood of my car, and now there are fingerprints and smudges on the case. I did some googling to see if there are any proposed solutions to clean them, and found a whole slew of people complaining that not only do they absorb dirt and grease, they also yellow over time with regular use.
I'll update this post with whatever I get next.

I remember looking at the kickstand case but I thought it would be too thick for my taste. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
The TPU case on my Victory is clear smoky grey w/diamond pattern and just recently I noticed it had started to yellow. Looks like as if it was burnt from overheating. Luckily it's not that noticeable.

Found this TPU in purple, might have other colors. It says LS720 only so it might be reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonne-Optimus...UTF8&qid=1432737886&sr=1-1&keywords=ls720+tpu

Upvote 0
I like the..CoverOn case for LG F3 and Tribute for several reasons..
1. Very tough construction,
2. Beveled edge around the glass allowing ease for "fat finger texting".
3. Plenty of colors to choose from.
4. Thin enough that your phone will still slide into your pocket.
5. Affordable. Amazon offers them at the $5-6 dollar US price range. A very good buy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones