Cases that work with multimedia dock?

Last Updated:

1. lucasfinley

lucasfinley Active Member This Topic's Starter

I picked up my droid, multimedia dock and hard shell clear verizon branded cases this morning (as im sure a lot of you have done also =) However in order to insert the droid into the multimedia dock I must remove the bottom portion of the case. Does anyone know if any other cases will work and not have to be removed? Perhaps the soft gel case that verizon is selling for the droid?

Advertisement
  2. scorpio21

scorpio21 Member

Just tagging on this post to see the replies as I'm curious as well.

3. mattparmely

mattparmely Well-Known Member

Best bet is going to be the 16.99 "Snap-On Gel Cover" will be my guess. I have it and its the sleekest and skinniest one. It also feels really cool. My favorite kind of case i have had so far.

4. jlatour88

jlatour88 Active Member

as far as iv heard there isnt any case or rubber that would fit the docks. its like any other phone. u cant have a case attached to the phone and have it connect to another accessory. i hope im wrong about this tho.

5. lucasfinley

lucasfinley Active Member This Topic's Starter

yeah it looks like there is less than a mm of space on each side of the phone when inserted in the dock. i doubt anything will work.

6. Slayer01

Slayer01 Well-Known Member

I have been looking as well, I have the hard gel cover from vw. Even if you take the back of to use the dock still does not make close enough connection to charge the phone which sucks.

P.S I still love the phone!!!

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I bought hte body glove case as I liked the (optional) integrated holster button to use with hte quick release belt clip. However, this is compatible with neither the dock nor the GPS mount. The GPS mount has even less free space than the dock, so now I am wondering if there is either an alternate GPS mount that can double as the back of a 2 piece case....or if we're going to have to wait for some manufacturer to figure this out and develop a workaround....

8. zcast

zcast Member

No so much a "case", but I have used InvisiShield on many phones in the past and they provide amazing protection. Not sure how the Droid version of the skin is for installation. The one I had on my iPhone 3G worked great except right around the curved edges, they kept getting loose and I had to trim them. Seeing how the Moto Droid has minimal curves, I think the cover will fit well. Plus, the extremely low Profile of the skin makes it ideal to fit in the dock(s).

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Motorola Droid Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

-Z

9. holokaustos

holokaustos Member

Yeah, I have to think that the InvisibleSHIELD would be the best option here. Ultimate protection, with no bulk. We ordered it today for the Droid and should get it next week. We'll try it out and let you know how it worked out.

10. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

agreed, ordered mine from zagg.com last week (pre-order) and it shipped out friday. :)

11. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I am thinking of using the IS on all parts of the DROID except the screen - and plan on using the regular VZW screen protector (not the privacy protector, the normal screen protector) as it does not hinder my performance. I think this might be the best of both worlds approach....

(I know this post seems like a duplicate but as there are duplicate threads on this subject I felt it apropos to mention it in both places)

12. dep

dep Active Member

There is a 50% off sale at zagg.com -- today only!

13. doubledown

doubledown Active Member

Seidio is making a snap on case and a dock it will work with. Teir products are good quality.

14. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

I got a generic PDA dash mount off of ebay that works well. They sell them at Best Buy as well, but they cost about $20 more there.

15. square

square Well-Known Member

well too bad. you can't. :p

you can however use just the bezel cover part of the snap on cases and it will fit in either dock. I think it provides adequate protection (for the screen/bezel, which seems to be the most damage/scratch prone) without bulking up the phone and the matte rubberized finish matches the back of the phone. I'm using a $6 ebay one (with a phantomskinz screen cover).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]