Casual Review of the Droid X; Story and questions from me =)

1. Poseidon126

Poseidon126 Active Member

(VERY LONG)

Hello fellow Android users!

I bought a Droid X a couple days ago and would like to share my story, if you have time to read I thank you, and also some questions at the end.

FYI, I am not a technologically fluent person, I do most of my research with the product in hand. Here goes:

At first glance to me, The Droid X looked huge, and not very sleek. I noticed the hump in the Verizon store and asked myself... Why? I sincerely turned to the LG Ally, bought that and was on my way.

Now I had the Ally for a few days, being a big LG fan since my first phone ever, I really really REALLY wanted to love this phone, it looked extremely sleek, i liked the physical keyboard and it was nicely small... I loved it, at first.

Then I started noticing the physical keyboard was not for me, I loved touch screens only, and it didn't feel like a phone for me, like a man phone, my girlfriend and her girlfriends have slide phones. Not an issue with the phone, just my personal opinion.

I soon researched the Droid X, attempting to put the design of the phone aside, I gave it a chance. I returned my Ally 3 days ago and grabbed myself an X.

It took me some time to understand the phone and get all the widgets set up and the background and everything (Which was very fun). I customized the look of the phone, what is on each page, what widgets I will use, and it really feels like MY phone. And I was proud =)

After the first day, I came to love the hump, it slightly tilts my phone upwards when set down, very easy to grab it out of my pocket. The hump really does make the phone unique instead of just a slim touchscreen.

The big screen, 4.3 inches, makes web browsing and texting a breeze. It feels like a miniature computer and fits perfectly in my hand. I've been on my phone an entire day when I first got it, grabbed my friends iPod Touch to look at the screen and I was like "Dammmm", so small. But I love the size of the X.

The X is built very nicely. Does not feel cheap, or flimsy at all. They did a great job at putting this phone together. Feels indestructible, but still, I will protect this phone with my life =P

In my workplace, 3 of my co-workers own iPhones. 1 has a 3g and 2 have the 4g. The two with the 4g are big iPhone fanboys. And one of those two would argue to the death that iPhone is the best phone.

Well, to my dismay, since I'm not very technologically fluent and I have yet to understand the fullness of uses I can do with the X, I TRIED to avoid confrontation with that one iPhone 4 owner.

Well, it happened. I defended myself by saying "Droid X has 8.0 Megapixels and yours only has 5.0"

His response: "What? Since when are you a photographer, you don't need that, it's not necessary"

Then He will go on to say: Does your phone have a frontal camera? How close can you zoom in? Mine is smaller, no! The screen is the perfect size... etc...

I retorted with the fact I can connect to a TV and play HD videos from the phone to the TV, I throw out the No Jacket Required haha.

But still, I felt defeated.

We came to an agreement that both phones are equally up there, thank god, I did not want to continue arguing with this to the death fanboy.

I am a casually owner of the phone. My first smartphone. Still doing what I normally do on a regular phone, such as, texting, calling, web browsing, while slowly learning the other things this phone can do. It's not easy understanding everything I can do with the X being technologically non-fluent kind of guy.

The phone rocks, no technological issues with the phone at all

BUT, with greatness of a phone, I have some cons:

Battery life, yes, I said it. But I'm not complaining. I really don't mind charging it twice or three times a day, I have a car charger and half my job requires me to drive my car. I have my USB charger with me at my house as well. But still, the Battery life is fairly low, I don't like trying all the tips to save my battery, because I want to enjoy what this phone has to offer. I didn't buy a phone to text and call only, bought this phone to do everything else. Just wish the battery lasted slightly longer.

And the only other con in my book, the volume. I was seriously late for work today because my alarm was not loud enough to wake me. Not only that but I can almost barely hear my phone in my pocket when someone texts/calls me. The volume is just not loud enough. =(

Well there it is, my beginning journey with the Droid X, I feel I will fall even more inlove with this phone as the weeks carry on, and I certainly hope to make the most out of the phone.

Now I need some advice, where can I go to find out an immense amount of different information about the phone?

Anddddd, I own a Mac, with iTunes... How the heck can I connect my phone to it so I can sync music onto my phone? =(

Thank you for reading guys, I rate this phone personally a 9.5/10
    Great job Motorola! I have faded away from my LG favoritism, into your backyard =)

Advertisement
    ChiefHopper likes this.
  2. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

3. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Are you having to charge your phone two or three times a day? That is strange if you have to, I use mine a lot and only have to charge it when I am going to bed.

Also nice review, and welcome to Android Forums!!! Both phones are great, and once you get use to this phone and some of the features it will seriously blow you away.
  4. chanatown

chanatown Member

I agreed with your cons - it might be psychological, but I feel that battery life has gotten better a week into my use. Also, check to see if you're getting a cell signal consistently. I've found that my Droid is often searching for a signal where I work, which taxes the battery. More of my Droid X impressions here.
  5. cornflwr33

cornflwr33 Well-Known Member

I have a mac as well and i tried a few programs but used the free version of tunesync.... might check out doubletwist.... but tunesync worked great for me :)
  6. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

If your battery life didn't improve in a week, which it should bring a lithium ion, than you should get a replacement phone if it bothers you at all. This phone had a huge battery and you should have no trouble getting through a day with moderate to heavy usage.
  7. BCox

BCox Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd toss out here that I got rid of my anti virus app and the motorola weather widget from my homepage, and my battery life improved SIGNIFICANTLY

might be worth checking into your battery settings, like using the smart mode profile, and turning brightness off (the only time I turn it up is if I'm outside for an extended period). Taking steps to look at this may help your battery life...My display is constantly one of the top "users" of my battery life