Catch-22 while on a call?Support

Last Updated:

1. niea

niea Active Member This Topic's Starter

I like to have the power button on my N1 end a call that's in progress. That works great. I also have my screen blank out after 1 minute. And sometimes I need the screen to turn back on so I can toggle speakerphone or bluetooth or whatever.

But the problem I run into is that the only way to turn the screen back on is to hit the power button, but then that ends the call!!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Any solution to this? I have the power button setting changed for now, but I really like it enabled.

Advertisement
    Gib likes this.
  2. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

Don't know about unrooted, but if rooted, you can have the trackball wake up the phone.

3. niea

i thought of that "solution" also, however my phone is not rooted and likely won't be anytime soon. I was hoping there was an answer for a stock N1. I can't believe Google didn't think of this scenario.

4. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

There's an app called Widget Locker that lets you build a lock screen with widgets on it. If I recall correctly, there is an option in that app to have the trackball wake the phone.

I also imagine there must be some way to use Tasker to solve the problem. That app can do anything.

5. niea

Thanks a bunch! I'll check into those apps and hopefully find something that works for me.

6. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

funny! i logged in to ask the same question. this issue really sucks. the only way i have found to wake up the screen is to plug the power cord in. that is if you have it around. i was on a call today and had to put on speaker phone for a few minutes while someone put me on hold. the entire rest of our conversation i had to leave the speaker phone on because i could not wake the screen. this happens all the time. i was praying that someone would call or text me to wake up the screen, but it did not happen.

if anyone has any more suggestions please submit them. thanks.

Gib likes this.
  7. eric1589

eric1589 Active Member

i just made the decision not to set the power button to end calls.

8. phlojo

phlojo Well-Known Member

I've been using ScreenMode widget for a while and it's been working great.

I don't use the power button to end a call (frankly, I didn't know that was possible), but I am paranoid about over-using the power button. (Any button that you press ALL the time is bound to malfunction at some point, and I want my N1 to last.) So when I'm at home and my phone is laying around in a table, I use the widget to set the phone to be woken up when I press the trackball instead of the power button (you don't need to swipe to unlock it either).

9. niea

Well, I changed it so the power button doesn't end calls. But now I have a new problem: when recording video, if the screen blanks out and you hit the power button to wake it back up, it loses your video and stops recording. I found that one out by accident and was pretty upset I lost my video.

I'll try that widget since I didn't know about it. I'm just irritated with Google for putting these problems in there.

10. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but my phone screen turns on every time I pull it away from my ear due to the proximity sensor. Did you turn that off for some reason?

As for the video camera issue, I was under the impression it wouldn't turn off in the middle of video recording. What would be the point of that? I'm not even sure why it would do that...

11. niea

That's the point. If you've got it on speaker, it's not by your ear. Hence, the screen is on. And if you're on a call longer than your "time out" setting, the screen blanks out and there is no way to wake it other than hitting the power button.

You'd think, huh? I was under that impression too, until it happened to me. The screen went blank and when I hit the power button to wake it up, I had to slide to unlock and all I got was the homescreen. When I went back into the picture/video app, the nothing was recording and the video wasn't there.

12. Gib

Gib New Member

Thanks, this was a great tip -- I was on a conference call using speaker and after talking to the moderator, I needed to mute the call. This saved my having to hang up and call back!