• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] 3G data connection keeps dropping.

I'm rooted via the HTC HBOOT 1.5 method running Olympus Trinity 3D Rom. Everything works great except the 3G data connection--it drops randomly every 10-15 minutes up to an hour interval.

Most of the time I can't tell, but every time the data connection drops, my AIM instant messenger app will tell me I am signed on in two places. Also it makes downloading any file a race against the clock.

Help? :thinking:

I should add that my Sprint Evo 3D never did this on stock rom and running PDANet.

Does that ROM use a custom kernel and did you flash the kernel using the fastboot method or the FlashGUI method?

Have you tried another ROM? A lot of users here like the Xplod ROM and CleanROM.

How recently have you rooted? Have you taken the most recent OTA?

Have you cleared out your cache and dalvik cache? Did you clear them out before flashing the ROM?

Upvote 0
Does that ROM use a custom kernel and did you flash the kernel using the fastboot method or the FlashGUI method?

I only used whatever came inside the .zip file. I used the Fastboot method.

Have you tried another ROM? A lot of users here like the Xplod ROM and CleanROM.

Only Revolutionary and I couldn't get Tether to work at all, even though I am paying for Sprint Hotspot service. ;)

How recently have you rooted? Have you taken the most recent OTA?

I rooted 2 days ago, I'm not sure what the most recent OTA I had was.

Have you cleared out your cache and dalvik cache? Did you clear them out before flashing the ROM?

No, I didn't do that. What does clearing the cache do and what is the difference between the regular cache and the dalvik cache?

If I sound like a n00b, it's because I am a n00b. :eek:

Thanks for your assistance. :D

Upvote 0
I only used whatever came inside the .zip file. I used the Fastboot method.

Ok good, so that's not the problem.

Only Revolutionary and I couldn't get Tether to work at all, even though I am paying for Sprint Hotspot service. ;)

Is revolutionary a ROM? I know revolutionary is a S-Off method and wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.5. I don't think it would screw anything up, though. But give the Xplod ROM or CleanROM a shot. Just remember to clear cache and dalvik before you flash the ROM.

I rooted 2 days ago, I'm not sure what the most recent OTA I had was.

The most recent OTA would have asked you to accept it and only have been available in the last week. I'll assume you don't have it.

No, I didn't do that. What does clearing the cache do and what is the difference between the regular cache and the dalvik cache?

This explanation is simplified, but for now it should do: Cache stores Android's regularly accessed files, for quicker loading. The dalvik cache stores the cache files for the dalvik virtual machine. The dalvik VM is a security measure to make it so apps can't directly modify the system.

The reason why you clear both the cache and the dalvik cache before flashing a ROM is that different ROMs use different caching techniques, names the files differently, etc. If you don't clear them out, the flashed ROM may have installation problems. Or you may have problems while running the phone...like your noted problem. Or apps constantly force close. Or any number of issues.

If I sound like a n00b, it's because I am a n00b. :eek:

Hey, we were all noobs at some point. You only stop being a noob by asking questions and reading up on stuff.

Thanks for your assistance. :D

You're welcome! It's what these forums are for :)

Reactions: Frisco and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Is revolutionary a ROM? I know revolutionary is a S-Off method and wouldn't work with HBOOT 1.5. I don't think it would screw anything up, though. But give the Xplod ROM or CleanROM a shot. Just remember to clear cache and dalvik before you flash the ROM.

My bad, the name of the ROM I tried and discarded because WiFi & USB tether did not work was called Android Revolutionary HD.

[ROM] Android Revolution HD™ 1.1.3 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Legendary - xda-developers

I will try Xplod and Clean ROM and report back...

Upvote 0
Ok, finally had time to play with this again.

Rebooted into USB Fastboot.

Fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

fastboot boot twrp-shooter-2.0.0rc0.img

Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache.

Install CleanROM 2.9.5.

Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache again...

So far I've gone about 30 minutes without a momentary dropped 3G connection. :D

I'll still need a few more hours of continuous use to test things out, but so far, it looks like CleanROM 2.9.5 did the trick! Olympus rom was a POS. :eek:

Thanks for all the commentary guys, I've learned alot in rooting my phone. I've owned the Evo 3D since the first week it came out in June 2011 if I remember right--it replaced an ancient 2003 vintage (color screen!) flip phone... :eek: I kinda wish I started messing with this stuff earlier but going from a phone that just makes phone calls to an Android phone is a big learning curve. :cool:

Upvote 0
Ugh.... spoke too soon. 3G connection is still dropping on the phone. Maybe it's time to try a Wireless tethering app instead of Sprint Mobile Hotspot. :thinking:

It couldn't hurt. CleanROM should have WirelessTether app installed.

(Please note that TabulaVicious is a paying member of tether, so use of alternate tethering apps is OK. For anyone reading this, if you're not paying for it, use of these apps are in violation of http://androidforums.com/sprint/455520-sprints-official-tethering-policy.html)

Upvote 0
I'm rooted via the HTC HBOOT 1.5 method running Olympus Trinity 3D Rom. Everything works great except the 3G data connection--it drops randomly every 10-15 minutes up to an hour interval.

Most of the time I can't tell, but every time the data connection drops, my AIM instant messenger app will tell me I am signed on in two places. Also it makes downloading any file a race against the clock.

Help? :thinking:

I should add that my Sprint Evo 3D never did this on stock rom and running PDANet.

My solution and experience:
Solution: Give yourself a missed call from another phone, (or send in an sms). Somehow this 'establishes' some connection and viola! data connection is back in 5 seconds. (i know, for calling yourself u need to ask someone for his phone.. lol)

Also: I got a dual sim phone. I use Vodafone and Uninor (India).
Data is always connected and fine when on Vodafone, but drops when i use data on Uninor. So I use the above method to re-establish data.
Hope it works for you!
Regards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones