• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Dead after ROM Flash?

Did you try downloading from shipped roms? You're on 2.17 right?

Yeah the link was to shipped. I'll have to look in a minute, not 100% positive I'm on 2.17. Though couldn't I re unlock the boot loader, reflash the recovery and attempt to flash a stock rom (or would doing this not help my case?)

DS

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Checking in.

Fastboot usb showing up. Downloaded the ruu zip and renamed PG86IMG since exe wasn't working.

Booted into fastboot and ran it. Now it won't get past boot loader when trying power on normally.

Any ideas?

DS

Did you use fastboot commands or actually update through the bootloader? I'm not 100% that you can use a PG86IMG version of the RUU through the bootloader because you are s-on. I might be wrong (Scotty will have to verify) but with being s-on, you are limited to what partitions you can write to, and I think some of the items in the RUU are some of them. The boot partition I think being one of them... Normally s-on users have to flash the boot image through fastboot commands except when using smartflash with 4-ext. I probably made this way too confusing but to sum it up, I think you have to be s-off to run the PG86IMG version of the RUU...:thinking:

Reactions: scotty85 and DonB
Upvote 0
Checking in.

Fastboot usb showing up. Downloaded the ruu zip and renamed PG86IMG since exe wasn't working.

Booted into fastboot and ran it. Now it won't get past boot loader when trying power on normally.

Any ideas?

DS

Did it sucessfully update all partitions?

Is it hanging at the splash screen,or is it literally just going to hboot wen you power it on normally?

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Did you use fastboot commands or actually update through the bootloader? I'm not 100% that you can use a PG86IMG version of the RUU through the bootloader because you are s-on. I might be wrong (Scotty will have to verify) but with being s-on, you are limited to what partitions you can write to, and I think some of the items in the RUU are some of them. The boot partition I think being one of them... Normally s-on users have to flash the boot image through fastboot commands except when using smartflash with 4-ext. I probably made this way too confusing but to sum it up, I think you have to be s-off to run the PG86IMG version of the RUU...:thinking:

You can run pg86img when s on. If its a full,signed ruu you'll need to be relocked(and pass main version,cid,etc checks)

Unsigned files are limited to unlocked,and then only boot,system,recovery.

You can run signed or unsigned files via fastboot as ruus when s on,also.

Reactions: DonB and Brian706
Upvote 0

Like I've said before I've never ran an ruu. I did run it through fastboot commands and it didn't give me an error failed message (if it happens to do that.)

Did it sucessfully update all partitions?

Is it hanging at the splash screen,or is it literally just going to hboot wen you power it on normally?

I'm not sure if it updated all partitions or not, when it was running, it had 2 progress bars to the right and when it finished it restarted the boot loader. When I chose to reboot from boot loader it took me right back to bootloader. After a battery pull and powering on like normal, took me straight to bootloader.

DS

Upvote 0
Do you still happen to have your cmd window open you can copy/paste?

If you unplug from the pc,is there an "ruu" on the fastboot screen,highlighted in orange?

If I'm understanding correctly,you ran the ruu in fastboot,and not ruu mode. As such,you should have seen each partition "updating" then "ok" on the fastboot screen,after the 2 status bars(pretty much the same as how it looks wen running in hboot,from the sd card). In ruu mode,you'd have been on a black screen with silver htc in the center,and had a green status bar on the phone as it flashed. You'd have also had stuff flashing in the cmd window.

The status bars were unpacking,then checking,so if you didn't see any updating,it may have subtley,silently failed :mad:

Can you get us a fastboot getvar all output?

Upvote 0
One second, i'll walk you through the steps I took.

Downloading ruu zip since link you provided for ruu exe says the ruu didn't exist

Relocking boot loader

Renaming ruu zip to PG86IMG and placing on root of sd card

Rebooting into bootloader as it scanned the images, PG86IMG found, can't 100% quote, but there was 2 progress bars to the right (all while still in bootloader menu) never transferred to a different screen.

I'm sorry, I unfortunately am not familiar with a fastboot getvar all output?

Also, after running it, it displays my radio in the Hboot menu (didn't previously display this.)

DS

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.50.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.06.00.1216
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 2.17.651.5
INFOserialno: HT18VHX07258
INFOimei: 355195000000010
INFOproduct: shooter
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8260
INFOmodelid: PG8610000
INFOcidnum: SPCS_001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 3800mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 9ea898af28567f2124dbfa59f1398dcf5144829
getvar:all FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.060s

Upvote 0
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.50.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.06.00.1216
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 2.17.651.5 <- main version
INFOserialno: HT18VHX07258
INFOimei: 355195000000010
INFOproduct: shooter
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8260
INFOmodelid: PG8610000
INFOcidnum: SPCS_001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 3800mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 9ea898af28567f2124dbfa59f1398dcf5144829
getvar:all FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.060s

ahhh now were getting somewhere :) if the .zip that you flashed was also the 2.08.651.3,then it didnt update since it failed the main version check. looks like we steered you wrong in recomending you flash that one :eek: my excuse is that my 3d is gsm,so im not as familiar with cdma builds. and im stickin to it :D

try the 2.17.651.5 build(.exe or .zip) if you cant get it to flash,or it updates successfully but still wont boot,then you have one more shot... go ahead and try the ICS ruu while youre still locked.

to answer your other question above,you most certainly could re-unlock and try flashing a rom or restoring a backup,if it will let you flash or boot recovery. if the non-booting issue is with boot or system,than that should fix it,but i think that this is unlikely,considering the other symptoms the phone as had. IMO you have a better shot reviving it with one of the full ruus,but you can try a rom flash first if you want. if it fails,youll just need to relock and run the ruus.

if you find youre still unable to select recovery,try booting it directly into memory from fastboot. put the image into your sdk/tools folder,just like when you flash it,except use this command instead:
fastboot boot recoveryname.img

that should launch your recovery directly into phone memory without installing it.

if you end up going the full ruu route,make sure to try a factory reset and clear storage from hboot if it wont boot. it wont do you much good to try the options now,since if im not mistakena custom recovery is still installed. but after the ruu is run and youve got the stock recovery back in place,then one of those may give it the extra incentive it needs to boot :)

im off to work here in a bit,but ill try and watch the progress. keeping fingers crossed that running the newer ruu will get you up and running :smokingsomb:

Reactions: Brian706 and DonB
Upvote 0
one last bit:
if you do get your recovery running,plug it in and try these commands:
adb devices (assuming you get serial number back,then continue on)
adb shell (should get you a # prompt)
dmesg | grep mmc0

and see what kind of output you get.

what youll want to see is something like this:
Code:
c:\miniadb_shooteru>[COLOR="Red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
~ # [COLOR="red"]dmesg | grep mmc0[/COLOR]
dmesg | grep mmc0
<3>[    2.973723] mmc0: No card detect facilities available
<6>[    2.974150] mmc0: Qualcomm MSM SDCC at 0x0000000012400000 irq 136,0 dma 18

<6>[    2.974333] mmc0: Platform slot type: MMC
<6>[    2.974455] mmc0: 8 bit data mode enabled
<6>[    2.974638] mmc0: 4 bit data mode disabled
<6>[    2.974730] mmc0: polling status mode disabled
<6>[    2.974852] mmc0: MMC clock 400000 -> 48000000 Hz, PCLK 0 Hz
<6>[    2.975035] mmc0: Slot eject status = 0
<6>[    2.975127] mmc0: Power save feature enable = 1
<6>[    2.975310] mmc0: DM non-cached buffer at ff007000, dma_addr 0x570ac000
<6>[    2.975432] mmc0: DM cmd busaddr 0x570ac000, cmdptr busaddr 0x570ac300
<6>[    3.099577] mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001
<6>[    3.100005] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 KLL00M 2.25 GiB
~ #

thats from my gsm 3d with ext 4 recovery. hopefully twrp has an adb daemon running(most custom recoveries do)

if you get a similar output,then we can assume your emmc is still in good shape.i wish id thot about getting you to fastboot boot a recovery and trying it earlier.

if you get an output similar to this:
Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed

then,unfortunately the emmc is fried.

while verifying the emmc is good doesnt rule out othr hardware failure,its certainly a good sign :)

Reactions: Brian706 and DonB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones