[CDMA] EVO 3D overclocked to 1.7 ghz

1. falconey

falconey Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm happy with my stock 1.2ghz Evo3D with the standard interface. I have no plans to root when we're able to.

However, I'm really happy that the root'ers and mod'ers will have the opportunity to open the Evo3D up and see what it can really do. It's going to be fun to watch!
  3. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see how far we can undervolt this thing to run at the stock 1.2ghz.
  4. falconey

Well based on phandroid, there was no root required. The cool thing about this, if it can work for the layman, is we could underclock for specific system scenarios as well. At least I think that would be possible. This mean even less battery drain. Or we can overclock for gaming or more intensive apps.
  5. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

Ohh, WOW! That is neat then! As long as it's safe I would underclock my phone to save battery. I don't do much gaming so that'd be cool for me. =)

I built a new gaming PC last year and I got a Black Edition AMD quad-core and a V8 CoolerMaster Over-Clock CPU heat sink.... I under clocked my CPU and run the OC-Fan full blast. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to heat. =)
  6. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

i just tried that, pics to follow. looks like you can undervolt to about 338 mhz or that is what set cpu is letting be the lowest through auto detect. doubt you want to go that low
    falconey likes this.
  7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Steady - from Phandroid:

And I'm against that temporary root. It raises temperature and lags the phone while beating on the eMMC controller.

I've warned that XDA posts that temp root is meant for devs to find more holes right now and is not for users.

The only two guys here on AF who've chimed in reporting they've done the temp root are myself and wake69.

You all do as you think best, but whatever you do, please don't assume this is at all safe yet.
  8. falconey

I've temp rooted as well(couple days ago). Don't have any issues with heat or lag. I only loaded barnacles to try wifi tethering which worked like a charm. IMO there really is no purpose in removing bloat or apps/etc because it will all dissappear as soon as you reboot. I'll wait for permaroot before I do all that.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Just for fun
    falconey likes this.
  10. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

+1

It makes my phone do some funky things sometimes. be very careful
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. falconey

12. EarlyMon

I'm on record that I hate free Quadrant - but my question is: are you sure about what you think you're getting?

Here is my phone, no temp root running since last weekend, stock-a-roonie, in other words.

quadrant.jpg

Didn't kill anything, didn't restart phone - just downloaded the thing and launched it from within Market.

Either proving what I've been saying about Quadrant or what we both just said about not trusting this temp root.
  13. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

LOL

I know what you mean, i have been getting erratic results. From what i read it is not set up to fully read dual core processors. I dont wanna pay for the paid version either tho. also linpack is erratic too ranging about 10 points. so... do i really care? no but is it fun? YES!
  14. Vanquished

Vanquished Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think there is any reason to overclock at the moment. There isn't anything the E3D can't handle right now.

Here's the source at XDA on how to do it for those that want to though:
    [MOD] EVO 3D/Sensation Overclocked to 1.8GHz! - xda-developers

15. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

EarlyMon, how about quadrant advanced?
    falconey, Vanquished and EarlyMon like this.
  16. EarlyMon

Much better because now there's a running chance at seeing what contributed to the overall numbers.

Honestly, I'm surprised the 2D and 3D graphics are so low and the IO is so high - but if that's how the cookie crumbles, then that's that.

Disturbing to me, tho, that there's such a difference in the total from your run the other day.

But if true, on their relative scale for the software library functions they call during their test, about the IO of the Droid X2, a bit better than the Hummingbird for 2D+3D graphics and about a 70% improvement over the Nexus 1 CPU. Not really bad. (Especially noting OS and display resolution differences.)

If other reports I've seen are true, that's on par with stock SGS2 or LG Optimus 3D.

As a Quadrant Advanced owner, do you get any access to what those tests are made of?
  17. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

I think the main way to explain the diff between the tests is that I lost su since it was not stickied. After the test I went back in set CPU it said I did not have root access. The only diff I can tell between free and advanced quadrant is the ability to pick and chose what tests to run. I will look more into this though
    EarlyMon likes this.
  18. outkast25

outkast25 Well-Known Member

I tried this oc method.
    [TOOL] Perma-Temp Root+HULU FIX+OVERCLOCK! - xda-developers
    Its tough to tell if there is any speed increases or not , since to phone is so damn snappy as it is. Has any one else here seen any results from overclocking yet? My last quadrant score was 2157, but I understand that doesnt mean much.
  19. EarlyMon

Moved your post here.

Free Quadrant doesn't tell you anything. As you'll see from posts above, it's all over the map - I got 2400 just running stock.

Try Vellamo instead, free in the Market.
  20. outkast25

[​IMG]

Looks like im above average .
  21. EarlyMon

Absolutely! :)

I hit 745, consistently, stock.

I wonder why the rendering score is lower.

Maybe try it at 1.5 GHz and see what you get.
  22. outkast25

wut is rendering?
  23. EarlyMon

It's a measure of the graphics.

Humans draw pictures, computers render graphics.
  24. outkast25

Gotcha. Hey do I use setcpu to change the voltage as well? I've never adjusted vintage before.
  25. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I'm not sure, but the kernel will automatically adjust voltage as required by the processor. Unless you manually override it. I don't believe if you increase voltage that it necessarily increases clock cycles. It will increase power consumption and heat, though. The opposite is true, for the most part. There is a small window of optimization where you can decrease voltage without impact to the CPU clock speed. But if you go past that window, decreasing voltage will decrease cycles.

Man, I really am looking forward to full root to start playing with this.