CDMA/GSM radio selection

Last Updated:

1. zense

zense Member This Topic's Starter

Do i need to launch network and change the radio band to cdma everytime i do a hard reboot. Or do the changes remain after hard reboots?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

You have to reselect CDMA after a reboot.

Some have reported that the CDMA selection stuck, but they also reported that they were rooted and running a custom rom.

Just check it and see what it says

3. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i'm not rooted and mine stuck.

4. zense

zense Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I notice that after a reboot i go into network and it still has CDMA selected. But my understanding is that it is still utilizing the GSM radio, but shows cdma, so i have been doing the network thing after each reboot.

5. 1day

1day Member

What does this mean? When you reboot the phone, you are not automatically on the sprints network? I dont get it, why do we need to select cdma vs gsm and I thought sprint was purely cdma with umts for 3g?

6. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

If I understand the rumor correctly, all Android phones are designed for GSM. The Evo likewise has the Android GSM coding, but altered/edited for CDMA use. The rumor is that some phones were default set to GSM and that the phone will send power to its absent GSM radio, wasting power.

Some people say that because there is no GSM radio in the phone, that no power is wasted, and that when you see GSM, it's actually a programming error caused by the Force Close when you attempt to go to that specific function.

My phone was initially set to "GSM" when I tried the trick and I switched it to CDMA. I noticed no change in battery life. My phone still says "CDMA" since I did the switch and I've rebooted several times and had one hard reset.

7. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member

I have the network app and it has always said cdma prl since I put it on their. Do you mean some peoples actually say cdma/gsm in the app? There is an option of cdma only but I was afraid to change it.

8. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

It's just meaningless scientifically unproven drivel spreading around the boards. Standing up on 1 foot and spinning around 3 times and saying "Take me home to old Virginia" does just as much good (along with the 13 other "dumbest ways to make yourself think you're improiving your battery life" tricks). :rolleyes: