• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Legacy root posts from sticky prior to S-OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup; I updated my sticky. Great news. And they confirmed something I never was completely sure about. If the ENG bootloader is leaked (and it was for the E3D), then all you need is an exploit that gives you a temp root shell, and then from there, you can flash the ENG bootloader and overwrite the original one.

So, we're actually in a really good position here with a full Evo 3D root. We may not need to wait for HTC after all. This phone looks to be rooted just like the Evo 4G (not the unrEVOked method).

Upvote 0
Yup; I updated my sticky. Great news. And they confirmed something I never was completely sure about. If the ENG bootloader is leaked (and it was for the E3D), then all you need is an exploit that gives you a temp root shell, and then from there, you can flash the ENG bootloader and overwrite the original one.

So, we're actually in a really good position here with a full Evo 3D root. We may not need to wait for HTC after all. This phone looks to be rooted just like the Evo 4G (not the unrEVOked method).

Exactly, ive been watching over there and it has been a hassle, but if and i say if, we may be golden

Upvote 0
Bah, I took the OTA, though. Hopefully the OTA hasn't fixed the instability that they found and the possible root exploit works.

From what I read, HTC has no knowledge of this hole, and therefore the OTA likely didn't close it. There's always a chance that it was accidentally closed, but odds of that are small.

So basically, the devs are keeping this hole a secret until the root exploit is developed.

Again, due to the instability of the hole, a root exploit might not be possible. But we can hope for the best.

P.S. for a while, I saw your username as jeROFLd, but I could never come up with any words that could stand for je and d.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Didn't see this one get linked in the OP of the xda thread:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP][S-OFF] Got Root!? 6/30

I'll answer a few more questions...

1. OTA updates: The reason not to accept an OTA now is for the next stage, getting s-off. Now that HTC is aware that we have a very likely exploit to their latest generation of devices, they may push an OTA that makes getting s-off.harder.

2. Sensation: I'm pretty sure it will work on the sensation, although it may need a few minor tweaks.

3. Secrecy: The reason we're not releasing the details of the exploit yet is to prevent a forced or even optional OTA from closing the hole before we can use it for root. Without root, we can't do much to prevent OTAs.

4. Timeline: Let's be fair. It does take time to go from a hole in the kernel to root. We're working blind here. Because we have no source tree in hand, and no root, we are punching holes in the kernel in the dark. We have some tools to help, but it's still a challenge. I wouldn't expect anything released before the weekend.

Upvote 0
heck yea.. same here.. :) so is there an OTA that is out? i havent updated since the first one came out..

edit.. just checked.. there is no updates.. in htc software..

No, but people are speculating that once HTC learns of a possible root exploit, they may push out an OTA that might make unlocking the bootloader harder. At this point, we have to assume that despite what HTC promised, their current position with the E3D is that it remain locked until THEY are ready to unlock it, whenever that might be.

So, if you've already accepted the last OTA which brought the bootloader to 1.40, you can go back if you wish. I'll stay with 1.40 for now and only go back if it's necessary to apply a root exploit. Knowing that I CAN go back with the RUU is good enough for me.

But don't accept any more OTA updates, even if it promises to allow your E3D to grant you 3 wishes, even if one of those wishes is for an iPhone.

Upvote 0
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I suspect we'll see in tandem: root, s-off, install stock rooted rom - and somewhere in that mix - applying CWM or Amon Ra recovery or the like.

Show of hands - who wants to go down this path without recover? Not me.

DonB - so... that's a no-click on the credit link and more Courier? Not trying to be a font Nazi, but it's just a little hard to read on the mobile browser for me....

Reactions: DMonee89
Upvote 0
I will not root without recovery option, and yes you can, LOL How is that now, lol

I suspect we'll see in tandem: root, s-off, install stock rooted rom - and somewhere in that mix - applying CWM or Amon Ra recovery or the like.

Show of hands - who wants to go down this path without recover? Not me.

DonB - so... that's a no-click on the credit link and more Courier? Not trying to be a font Nazi, but it's just a little hard to read on the mobile browser for me....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones