• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Newb question - can't push recovery.img or su to sdcard

aespielberg

Lurker
Jan 15, 2012
Hi,

I'm really new to rooting and have some very novice questions. I just want root access now so I can remove the bloatware and have more developer freedom in the future.

Anyway, I'm following this guide:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1239821

I have my bootloader unlocked from the official HTC method.

but when I try to run the command

C:\Android Rooting Folder>adb push recovery.img /sdcard/

I get:

adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
failed to copy 'recovery.img' to '/sdcard//recovery.img': Permission denied

I don't know why I'm getting this permission denied error. Am I running this from the right folder? This is the folder I created for the HTC method in which I have the adb, adbwinapi.dll, fastboot etc. I put the recovery and su in here.

Am I doing this right? It feels wrong because I have no reference to my H: drive where the phone is linked, but I don't know. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I'm really new to rooting and have some very novice questions. I just want root access now so I can remove the bloatware and have more developer freedom in the future.

Anyway, I'm following this guide:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1239821

I have my bootloader unlocked from the official HTC method.

but when I try to run the command

C:\Android Rooting Folder>adb push recovery.img /sdcard/

I get:

failed to copy 'recovery.img' to '/sdcard//recovery.img': Permission denied

I don't know why I'm getting this permission denied error. Am I running this from the right folder? This is the folder I created for the HTC method in which I have the adb, adbwinapi.dll, fastboot etc. I put the recovery and su in here.

Am I doing this right? It feels wrong because I have no reference to my H: drive where the phone is linked, but I don't know. What am I doing wrong?

you can just connect to pc as storage and transfer files to the root of your sdcard

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply, still having some issues though.

I must be doing something just outright wrong. I tried to run the command "adb reboot bootloader" and the only response I get is "error: device not found." Any idea why this might be? I have the phone connected to the USB port, have debugging enabled and have the sd card mounted as a disk drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply, still having some issues though.

I must be doing something just outright wrong. I tried to run the command "adb reboot bootloader" and the only response I get is "error: device not found." Any idea why this might be? I have the phone connected to the USB port, have debugging enabled and have the sd card mounted as a disk drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
need phone mounted as charge only

Reactions: aespielberg
Upvote 0
i did the full android sdk install, and copied the files from tools to platform tools so all are in the right location. and i cd to that location. however i at one time put only files in one folder to test ans as long as adb, fastboot and a few others are there, it does not matter where they are run from

Upvote 0
I really hate HTC for calling this feature this, but make sure "Fast boot" is unchecked in Settings > Power. Note, this is not the fastboot that is in the Android SDK. It's a feature like hibernate in windows that prevents the phone from shutting down fully so that it can 'reboot' quickly. This prevents some reboot commands from working properly. Then go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB debugging (if it isn't already). Then try it again.

If that fails, then just shut off your phone normally, hold volume down and hold power until the bootloader appears. If you still have troubles, yank out the battery, count to 5, put the battery back in and hold vol down + power again.

Upvote 0
C:\>C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb.exe start-server
C:\>C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb.exe shell
# su
su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
failed with error: -1
error opening /sdcard/recovery.img#

The recovery.img file is on my sd card but i don khnow why comes this error.
please help me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones