CDMA or GSM?

Last Updated:

1. skyy

skyy New Member This Topic's Starter

i read that the droid will be on verizon, which is a CDMA network, but i also read that it will support GSM radios. does that mean it will have a SIM card slot? and does that mean it could be unlocked to work on tmobile?

Advertisement
  2. Integgroll

Integgroll Member

The current fcc specs on the phone are only for the CDMA network. However they did pass another phone under the codename Sholes through the fcc for the GSM networks as well.

I personally WANT to hope that it will support both and have a sim, that would just be really cool in my opinion. But I would be willing to bet that the GSM version is going to be the tablet version that is supposed to be released next year.

3. kasperknop

kasperknop Well-Known Member

What do you mean by the tablet version? Couldn't it be the EU version as well?

4. Integgroll

Integgroll Member

A little while back there was an image that had the Motorola pipeline that showed up that had a Motorola Sholes tablet version, it was not supposed to have the qwerty keyboard, and apparently according to the image, has an HDMI output for 720p. My PURE speculation is that the tablet is the version that got passed through the FCC for GSM.

And while it is ultimately up to the manufacturer for if they can produce the same version of a phone for other carriers, the original carrier is Verizon after all.