[CDMA] OTA Updates with HTC method root?

Last Updated: 2011-08-26 17:34:39
  1. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

OK, so I just rooted with the HTC method on their website with the help of the video linked into this forum. (actually video was easier). Now my question is can I accept OTA updates? I know, the rule has always been stop accepting OTA updates after rooting. I followed that rule after rooting my EVO 4G. But since this is a HTC root, does this same rule apply?

My phone is currently asking me to update now, but the software update number they are trying to get me to update to is 2.08.651.2, the same as is currently on my phone so I'm inclined not to install this one. However, as future OTA updates come around can I accept them? Does rooting with HTC (still shows S-ON but is root) make a difference?

One other thing, the HTC website method showed in step 14 how to re-lock the bootloader, while the video did not. I did not re-lock it. I assume that I should not re-lock it. My second question is why would I ever want to re-lock it? What purpose would that serve?

For FYI HTC step 14 said:

1. Step 14

To re-lock your bootloader, in the command prompt, type: fastboot oem lock.
      Note: This will not restore the factory default lock, but will simply re-lock the bootloader so no further changes can be made. Furthermore, if you want to unlock your bootloader again, simply repeat step 12 with your original unlock key file to unlock your phone again.

Advertisement
  2. jlear3

jlear3 Well-Known Member

OTA will give you a new kernel, which will cause problems with your rom.
    Wait until there is a rom with the OTA kernel then update and flash
  3. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

That's a good question. My thinking would be if you stay stock otas may be OK since you still have s on but you may still have to reroot. If you flash custom roms don't accept otas
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I wouldn't accept OTAs, there's no need. Usually the equivalent stock rooted rom hits within a day or so of the OTA, just go with that.

Whether custom or stock rooted rom, being rooted means having total control of your phone to make it work your way. Personally, I would not give that up for an instant.

Besides, flashing the rooted stock rom is faster and easier than taking an OTA and re-rooting.
  5. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

+1 ^^^^^
  6. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member

Think I found the answer to my question on the HTC website. They say the following:

"Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader."

Looks like it's ROM flashing from here on unless I hear different.
  7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Please trust me - avoid system OTAs from here on out.
    novox77 and wake69 like this.