CDMA vs. 3G in terms of speedGeneral

Last Updated:

1. falcon26

falcon26 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm coming from At&t and 3g. I get my Phone tomorrow. I was wondering just how does web browsing compare on cdma compared to 3g?

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

you have your terminology wrong. CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT) both have 3G. and it will all depend on location. Some places ATT is faster others VZW is

3. HawaiianLaker

HawaiianLaker Well-Known Member

right, it will mainly depend on where you are, at peak att would be faster but verizon has a WAY better coverage. the way i see it is, i would rather have decent speed all the time rather then spotty good speed.

necosino likes this.
  4. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

Trust me!!!!!!! you won't be sorry your on Verizon no matter what the speed. And if ATT is faster in certain spots it is so minimal you won't even notice. Verizon is the BEST carrier PERIOD!!!!!!! you will never leave......

5. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

I carry both an AT&T phone (work) and an Incredible and I can say pretty confidently that I find the opposite to be true...My VZW 3G is much faster than my AT&T 3G.

But I completely agree with the coverage! I drive between Harrisburg PA and NYC many times a month and ONLY my VZW phone keeps 3G for the entire trip. As a matter of fact, the AT&T phone only has 3G about 25% of the time.

6. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I switched from ATT to Verizon, I thought VRZ would be slower as ATT always claim that they are faster, and I found the opposite.

I had a roadtrip to Vegas this past summer, I had coverage like 85% of the time, while my friend with I4 on ATT, maybe at 40% of the time.

7. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i thought vzw is said to be faster now too

8. jayjay1122

I honestly have nothing nice to say about AT&T other than I can use it in Europe!! ;)

9. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

But howarmat said exactly that: if you go to one place, ATT may be faster; if you go to another place, VZW may be faster. When I went to a wedding in Carlsbad, my friend's iPhone 3GS dominated my Incredible in terms of streaming video (YouTube) and uploading pictures. Up here in San Francisco, ATT is the pits; you're blessed if you can download a 32kb file in the space of a workday.

10. jayjay1122

:confused::confused:
    What I said that was different is that I have found AT&T to be much slower.

11. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

Overall or just in your area? Because it can vary, AT&T in certain areas can be faster than VZW and vice versa.

If you want to go worldwide, ATT is much faster than VZW because, well, you can't use CDMA technology in most of the world.

12. jayjay1122

Yes in my experience, overall in the cities I've been, AT&T is universally slower than VZW. I have yet to see an advantage to AT&T on anything but travel outside the US.