Cell Standby AKA Time without a signal - What's the deal?

Last Updated:

1. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I only just noticed that about 75% of my battery is being used by "Cell standby" and I have a 50% time without a signal.

I just rooted about a week ago and before then I'm pretty sure whenever I checked I had 0% time without a signal. I'm not sure if it is certain roms or kernels or what, but this 50% time without a signal thing seems pretty common but I can't find much information about it.

I don't think I'm ever actually without a signal, so I'm fairly certain this is some sort of weird glitch caused by using a different rom/kernel. Is it actually draining my battery faster?

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If it makes any difference, I'm running Cyanogen 5.0.5.4 and bekit 7x1200 Low Voltage kernel.

Also I have noticed that whenever I check, cell standby is always using exactly 75% of the battery power and I always have exactly 50% time without signal.

3. ejl2010

ejl2010 Well-Known Member

you know since I rooted a few days ago I noticed the same thing but I am running Ultimate Droid 8.1.1 with Chevy's med-Voltage 1.1gHz Kernel.

I too would like to know whats going on with the signal.

4. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

For Cyanogen that is a fairly well known issue with that rom. some users report a big hit in battery life, others claim that since the radio usage is high, the other applications are being handled more efficiently... personally, i think it is a bug and I noticed decreased battery life with it.

For UD, I know that issue crept up in one of the releases, not sure if it was 8.1.1. I am running v9 now and my cell/standby are both below 15% which I feel is norm