cell standby and battery use?

Last Updated:

1. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok so im trying to figure out the consumption issues with my battery and cell standby. it is currently responsible for 39% which is at the top of the list just above phone idle. what really concerns me though is my time without a signal is 49%:eek:!! but everytime i look at my phone it has 3bars! how can this be? and im assuming this is whats killing my battery?:(
    it should be noted that i dont think i have the "bug" others seemed to have.

Advertisement
  2. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Well-Known Member

I believe it has been said that "Time without Signal" doesn't mean what you think, but how long the phone is not actively USING that signal. Like if you have no apps constantly connecting to the internet for whatever reason.

I've never seen anything as a "This is 100%" what it means, though.

3. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member

I found that when I had a high cell standby, that it was caused by an app that was always checking the internet. Which seems counter intuitive. The App was ebuddy. It was contantly checking facebook, google talk, yahoo IM, and AIM. When I disabled this app my cell standby dropped to 10% or below and my battery life increased dramatically. Hope this helps.

4. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I have noticed that there are quite a few people expressing concerns over Cell Standby and it's seemingly increased activity. I don't remember having even seen Cell Standby listed before, but over the last month or so, it is always listed. Sometimes it is at single didget percentages running for a few minutes and not showing any time without signal. Other times, it is at 30-50%, running for many hours and showing approximately 50% time without signal.

The concerns I have noticed have only been streaming in over the last month or so. This tells me that it very well may be the Verizon Network that is causing this. I cannot prove this and when I called Verizon about it, they either acted dumb or sincerely did not know what was causing it, but it seems that this is the most probable cause.

If it were an app, I would think that we would have pinpointed the offending app by now. I do not have ebuddy installed and have never had it. Yet, I am still seeing these issues with Cell Standby.

Anyways, I do hope we can figure out exactly what is going on and get it fixed soon. I have noticed a slight decrease in battery life and am going to blame it on Cell Standby for the time being.

Kratos

5. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

it is the time without signal under cell standby that bothered me. there was supposed to be a bug that people got when 2.1 came out that caused this. however i am on 2.2 now. i am rooted and i just swapped to petes new baseband and cell standby is at six percent with no time without signal!

6. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

I still don't understand, why is Cell Standby eating up some much battery life again?

I just got my Droid X last week and installed a few of the same apps I had on my Droid and this Cell Standby is draining more battery than my screen is. It's getting like 46% and my display is only like 30 ish. Never even say Cell Standby on my old Droid.