1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Cell Standby, Battery Killer?Support

1. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue as I do, with about 44% of my battery use coming from the notorious call standby.

I heard some speculation that this is akin to the issue with the Eris 2.1, so it would be solved by the Airplane Mode trick, but I have not found any results favoring that remedy.

If anyone has tests to compare, post them here, I did the trick, and I will post any results I find.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Quintessence

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

44% does seem high for cell standby, but the Droid and the Incredible may use battery power in different proportions.

If you select Cell Standby and it says "Time spent without signal 50%" then you know you have a problem. If you do the airplane mode trick that % should start going down.
  4. Quintessence

I just unplugged it and my number is 30% or so, ill see how it will pan out in a longer time frame
  5. Steel36

Steel36 Well-Known Member

My Cell Standby is showing 3% of the battery use, and that's been consistent for a while. However, my Time w/o signal is currently over 80%.

My signal strength stays around -101db.
  6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Wow. Those numbers certainly don't make sense. I'm not sure any of the experience I've had with my Droid will apply to the Incredible if that's true.
  7. Quintessence

Right now its at 33% use with 0% time without a signal. =/
  8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

What does cell standby do exactly? Mine is at 29%, which is higher than Android System which is at 28%. I don't really understand why it's taking up so much of my battery.
  9. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

This is the kind of stuff I always loved about the Storm, and specifically the Crackberry message boards. Everyone would freak about an issue that they weren't even sure was an issue. Not picking on you, because I'm sure I'll do the same thing, and did with the Storm (the Storm was famous for memory watching). I just find it funny.
  10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Do the airplane trick. Put your phone in airplane mode and then wait a couple of seconds and take it out of airplane mode.
  11. Vihzel

I'm not freaking out. I'm just puzzled as to why Android System isn't #1, where it should be. Cell standby doesn't even sound like something that should be taking up more than a .25 of the battery.
  12. Quintessence

Its just odd that its above everything. As far as I know, I shouldn't be using my calling radio when I am not making or receiving a call.
  13. GlockGuy80

GlockGuy80 Well-Known Member

Mine was at about 40%. That is why my battery doesn't last more than 5 hours. How in the Hell is yours so low??? 3%?????
  14. Quintessence

That's what I made this thread to try and figure out.
  15. trojanchick99

trojanchick99 Well-Known Member

Mine is at 39%, phone at 12% with no signal. My signal strength in my office is between -105 and -97, which is to be expected as I work in a parking structure.

That said I've been unplugged since 7am Pacific and still have plenty of battery.
  16. Vihzel

I'm getting the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery tomorrow. That should definitely help a lot with the battery length.
  17. barrister89

barrister89 Well-Known Member

I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't get why these smartphones seem to suck so much battery while in standby mode with the display off. While my LG Dare is not a smartphone and obviously has a very simple OS, the stock battery will probaby last for a week or longer in standby mode. I wish someone would educate why these smartphones apparently need to perform CPU operations while in standby and why you can't just shut all that stuff off.
  18. jacobcrny

jacobcrny Active Member

mines at 2%
    android system 98%
  19. entraik

entraik Active Member

i wanna see pics for proof because I'm not believing that people have such low cell standy's
  20. silliybilly

silliybilly Well-Known Member

I had a very low cell stand by % and very high Android System % until I rebooted my phone. Now Cell stand by is 38% and Android system is 4%? I think we need a real explanation of what all these #'s mean.
  21. Incredibledroid

Incredibledroid New Member

I had 16% cell standby initially. Did the *228 option 2, then my cell standby has been 2% since.
  22. Vihzel

I'll do that and see if anything changes. Hope it does!
  23. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

Yes - i think until we are sure what they mean, no reason to stress about it. My guess is these are just percentage of battery used, no indication of whether a particular task is using too much or too little.

In other words, if you let your phone just sit mostly, you'll have a higher %standby percentage as the android system will be mostly idle. Conversely if you spend all day playing with the phone, your android system % will be high and your standby % will be low.

As long as your battery life isn't ridiculously low (normal for moderate usage seems to be in the 6-9hr range from what i've seen), I wouldn't stress.

That being said, i'm still hoping to extend battery life to at least 12 hrs -will be getting an extended battery when available :)
  24. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

I really wish we could get more information on this.

I've done the airplane trick, dialed *228, and even changed to CDMA using *#*#4636#*#*. I locked my phone at around 1 am this morning, and didn't touch it again until 11 am. After 10 hours of just sitting there, with Mobile Network, Wireless, GPS, Syncing, and Bluetooth all off, I went from 90% battery to 60%. 48% of battery was cell standby. I would be very happy with only losing 30% of my battery after 10 hours of usage (ecstatic really), but it literally was sitting there doing nothing. I turned off everything I could, other than leaving it in Airplane Mode, I don't know what's wrong.

The specs say the phone should get ~150 hours of standby time. Based on what I'm seeing, it's more like 35 hours. This was my 4th full charge, so it should be pretty close to broken in, and I'm using JuicePlotter to track my battery levels.
  25. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

My cell standby has consistently been over 25-30%. Until today, my battery life has been over 24 hours. Today with heavier use it was more like 17 hours until completely dead.

I'd be interested to see if we can figure out what's behind the high cell standby.