cell standby demolishes battery.

Last Updated:

1. kqt728

kqt728 Member This Topic's Starter

Usually i charge my evo while I'm sleeping. Last night I went to sleep with it at 100% and woke up 10 hours later to find that I had lost 50%. Battery indicator told me that it was 48% cell standby and 48% phone idle and only 2% Android system. Is this usual? I didn't know just leaving my phone on the table would kill so much.

Advertisement
  2. hd.android

hd.android Well-Known Member

If you're in an area with poor reception, the phone automatically bumps power to the radio to attempt to get reception -- especially if there are background tasks that keep attempting to use the data connection to get updates.

I work on the 40th floor of a building and it's the absolutely worst for battery life because signal comes and goes, and the little Evo that could just keeps trying to keep that signal connected. I just use my widget to turn the cellular radio off and turn Wifi on.

3. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Lol 'the little evo that could'
    Sounds like my evo in my house..i have next to nothing when it comes to service and it kills battery if I dont manage the power :(

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

battery drain in areas of low/no reception has been a problem since.... cell phones were invented.

Look into the Airave (sold by Sprint). Except make them give it to you for free or you'll quit.

5. dcoaster

dcoaster Well-Known Member

I know these phones suck power like no end and the battery percentages are relative, but is the cell radio really using all of that power relative to the small amount of Android itself? I have fairly good battery life, but I think it would be great to cut down the power usage of these modern cell radios...

Edit: By the way, I've got 0% time without signal.

6. hd.android

hd.android Well-Known Member

At least they scale up and down (power usage) based on available signal. The problem is on a high floor in a building, the signal is just sporadic.