Cell Tower locatorGeneral

Last Updated:

1. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just as the title says. For those who have a weak signal, as I do at home, here's a way to see where Verizon's towers are located.

Cell Phone Towers - Mobiledia

There is a tower about 150 yrds away from my house, but it's a Sprint tower... :mad:

Advertisement
    Neera likes this.
  2. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

No towers in my entire town - any carrier. No wonder I can't get phone calls in my house. I can send a text, but have to hold the phone up to a window to make it go.

3. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

nice.

4. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

2 towers with in 5 miles of my house and I get ultra crap since the 2.1 at my house. 1.5 however I got great reception.

5. Swifty

Swifty Member

This map is not very accurate. I live in the second largest city in Indiana and the map says there is no Verizon antennas any where. :confused: I know for a fact that I have one no more than 500 - 600 yards behind my house. And yes, I can feel the cancer growing as I type this due to the cell radio waves being emitted from so close. :rolleyes: At least when I tether I can use the full potential of the 3G. :p

6. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From the website: "Unfortunately, not every antenna needs to be registered with the FCC, and the map may not list all the towers in the area. But most are included."

It may also need to be updated. There are a couple of year old towers near my work that don't show on this map.

7. lance-tek

lance-tek Well-Known Member

In Fort Wayne, you have about everything... it is a test city for all kinds of stuff... Obviously this includes stealth cell phone towers :p

-lance

8. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

For security reasons, they probably aren't allowed to pinpoint every tower. Think about the damage that information could cause in the wrong hands....

I would definitely understand if a few towers were left off of any maps...

9. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

It found several towers near me, including the one that my phone locks on to when I turn it on.

10. grafc

grafc Member

I have gotten a lot of info here from these forums and today think I have something to contribute.
    I solved my home Verizon signal strength issue with a network extender:
    Network Extender

11. WineJones

WineJones Well-Known Member

If you turn OFF gps and go to "My Location" in Maps, you will see a big blue circle centered on the cell site your phone is communicating with. By moving around a little bit (or a lot, depending on how rural you are) you can identify locations of several nearby towers.

I realize this is not as slick as the posted link, but it can be useful info when troubleshooting poor signal at a specific location.

12. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

good link :)

I live WAY out in the sticks...... closest town with more than 3000 people is 25 miles away........

that map shows I have 3 verizon towers within 5 miles of me..... the closest one is less than 1/2 a mile away......... no wonder I get full bars even in my basement

gotta wonder why the heck they need so many towers out here though......... of course the next closest tower goin east is probably 200 miles away....... so maybe they need that many to boost their coverage that direction

13. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member

Yeah, what is up with this! I only get 1 bar in my house and always had great reception before. I called Verizon yesterday and the woman was very nice, checked with tech support, and then said, "You need to do *228 to fix the roaming signal and that will fix it. And you should do this once a month."

I tried it, twice, same signal strength.

14. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

There's an app in the Market called "Antennas". I suggest people give it a try. It's nice...

As for an apparent lack of towers, even the biggest providers, (VZW, ATT, etc) lease tower space from private tower companies. In those cases, the tower may not be listed as the carrier's tower. The link above shows very few VZW towers but running "Antenna" proves that map is wrong or outdated.