certified like-new

Last Updated:

1. mshest

mshest Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i'm getting a warranty replacement droid sent to me. but in reality it is one of those "certified like-new" droids.... not an actual new one from the motorola factory. should i be afraid?

if someone has gotten one of these, will it come with a battery and sd card or not? if yes, would u recommend I use the like-new droid's battery or my own?

Advertisement
  2. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

I believe that its just the phone.You have to use the battery, battery door, and sd card from your old phone.

3. mshest

the sd card and battery i understand... the door though. thats a bit strange

4. tomato88

tomato88 Well-Known Member

Certified-new ones tend to have more flaws than you imagine. VZW states that those phones are vigorously inspected, but i call it BS.

Last time I received one, it had a giant crack next to the sd card slot and the speaker was broken on arrival. I had to go series of phone calls with the reps to receive a brand new one since it was within 30-day guarantee period.

I recommend you to play with it for a couple of days and see if there are any major flaws on the device.

5. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

That's the way its been every time ive had to do a phone swap. I've not swapped a droid out though so im not for certain on it.

6. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

yeah, most companies do it this way. you've already got a battery, battery door and sd card from your original phone so they only send you the phone itself. i've had many replacements, with both sprint and verizon. always done this way. they only give you the other stuff if they give you a different model.

7. smittythepig

by the way, i had several Eris phones replaced and they all worked about the same as the original. and they looked pretty much brand new. however, the last one had a scratch on the screen. and i'd swear one of the others did as well. but i didn't notice the scratch on the other one until i'd had it for a few days so i can't be totally sure i didn't do it.

8. snowman9031

snowman9031 Well-Known Member

good luck

9. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

My current Droid is a replacement and it is perfect. I have gotten a couple Verizon replacements and all have been great for me, I dont see why people complain a lot about them. I guess I have good luck?

10. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

I had a certified phone to replace the one I borfed (...ooops) and the first one had two keys (p and ...?) that didn't work.

2nd replacement is going strong.

Dan

11. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

I just recently got a "Certified Like New" one and have NO problems what so ever...although I must add i still get dust under my screen like always :(

12. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

welcome to hell. I have now had 4 certified like new phones. no fun. give em a month or two and they will bust...

or, like me, on my third, it will be DOA! great testing there Motorola.

13. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I just got a Re-cert Droid in the mail after my headphone jack became loose on my original Droid with bubbled keyboard. Yes, I miss the keys too.

When I got my "new" Droid the first thing I noticed was that the charging light on the side is recessed into the phone housing and not flush with the USB port on the side. Not a big enough deal for me to send it back again though. I figure I won't be on the Droid wagon in 12 months anyways.

14. mshest

yup... curses! the replacement sent to me has a faulty proximity sensor. when i called 611 they didn't even bother with the tech support... just took my word for it and are sending out another one. must be very common to have issues. 100 point inspection my sack.

15. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I am on droid number 7 . The warrenty replacements I have gotten have been a little quirky at first, then after a couple weeks they all do the same thing the one before did. My current only loads my email when it wants to, usually after a bttry pull. I am self employed so emails are very important. They recently gave me the option to exchange it for a different model, but it had to be a lesser phone. Like the eris, HTC touch pro 2 ,Imagio, or a blackberry curve or flip. Uh no thanks.

16. mshest

i wonder if the palm pre is considered a "lesser" phone by vzw.

17. smittythepig

interesting. i was having similar issues with the Eris and the various refurbs i got. but when i emailed customer service they gave me the option to switch to a different model but let me upgrade to the Droid, and sent me a brand new one so i wasn't getting another refurb. i guess it depends on who you get. they originally offered the storm 2, palm pre or similar. i asked if i could have a Droid and they said yes. then i asked if i could have an incredible, lol. but that wasn't an option. so i took a new droid.

18. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If you get one with problems, yes.

19. mshest

i started this thread for the same question and the answer is YES... be afraid... BE VERY AFRAID.... they don't inspect anything... mine didn't even make calls right. CALLS!

20. NetherAngel

NetherAngel Member

Ok first off, from personal experience, (i work for verizon and do certified replacements on a daily basis) these phones are gone through testing, yes you may think im lying, but the people that actually do the remanufacturing are paid (yes PAID) on the percentage of the phones that actually come back. You do the math, if you were paid (obviously negatively) if a certain percentage of your phones came back would you do everything you can to make sure its up to standard?

The answer to your question is no, however you need to realize that the device your getting is a mechanical device and can sometimes have defects, the phone your getting goes through more testing than a BRAND NEW PHONE. Some phones directly out of the box have issues, honestly it depends on your luck.

Hope this helps. I wouldnt be worried to be honest.

honestly 90 percent of the things that happen to peoples phones are user error. not saying this to tote verizon or be condiscending. For instance, people saying they have gone through multiple droids and EVERY ONE THE CHARGING PORT GOES BAD, need to stop talking on the phone while there phone is connected to a charger pulling the port out of there phone while connected to a car charger

21. NetherAngel

NetherAngel Member

Originally Posted by ladybadger2007 [​IMG]
    I am on droid number 7 . The warrenty replacements I have gotten have been a little quirky at first, then after a couple weeks they all do the same thing the one before did. My current only loads my email when it wants to, usually after a bttry pull. I am self employed so emails are very important. They recently gave me the option to exchange it for a different model, but it had to be a lesser phone. Like the eris, HTC touch pro 2 ,Imagio, or a blackberry curve or flip. Uh no thanks.

to this post, do you have some sort of task killer on your phone that you are not unchecking your e mails? if so, you are stopping the auto pull from the internet when you do so, also certain e mails need you to have the premium service in order to have auto push set up (such as yahoo) there is also a setting that you can change as well, if you go into your phone its default i beleive is 2hrs, you can change this to 15

22. mshest

Droid replacement #2 is also bad. has the same issues as original but this one also has a line of green pixels that appears here and there. its kinda fun though... getting a phone in the mail everyday.. playing with it... sending it back. i like fun.

23. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

I never trust them. Before I got the Droid I had a voyager and it would turn itself off every now and then so I asked for a replacement. They sent it, but the touch screen was so off nothing I would click would be the right thing. I sent it back right away. If thats how a voyager was, I'm scared to think what a replacement droid would be.

24. Artu

Artu Active Member

I have gotten two cert-new units in the last 7 days, both have problems making calls; the screen goes dark with no way to end the call otgher then sliding the screen open.

Both did it during activation, so I doubt it was any setting carried over in backup; as that part had not even taken place yet.

The first one had a very loose screen. This second one has a tighter screen but I need to figgure out how to solve the proximity switch not working with the test programs or calling.

25. mshest

i don't think its your problem to solve. thats a manufacturing defect. send it back. but what it does do , is blatantly showcase the lack of testing on these refurb phones. what can be more basic than making a call or looking at the screen