Chagne Display name on Hotmail account on ICS?Support

1. FreeRangers

FreeRangers Well-Known Member

Let's say my email is FreeRangers (@) hotmail.com when I send an email the recipient sees the sender as Freerangers. On Gingerbread I was able to change this so that the display name didn't show Freerangers, but showed whatever I wanted it to (John, for example). On ICS I have my hotmail account set up as an exchange account (because that is the only way I could delete emails form my phone and they would also get deleted form Hotmail's servers). But I also tried just setting up hot mail as a normal hotmail account, but I still can't change the display name.

Advertisement
    :
  2. tawheed

tawheed Member

Any luck with this? Same issue on my S3.
  3. tawheed

tawheed Member

Did some digging and it turns out that you can't change the display name on the device. There must be something weird with Samsung because with my HTC One X it would send emails from my proper display name and with the S3 it sends as the email address account name.. Wish I could get this solved, very frustrating.
  4. FreeRangers

FreeRangers Well-Known Member

Well that kinda sucks. I know I could do it in Gingerbread. It's not a huge issue though (more like a minor annoyance).
  5. tawheed

tawheed Member

It's pretty damn annoying, it should just work.. I've been googling like mad and am unable to come up with any type of fix.
  6. vet4snak

vet4snak New Member

i just bought my S3, super expensive. and i got the same problem as you guys. very frustrating..why is a phone of this caliber have such stupid issues?! i dont want to use market apps
  7. GVO

GVO New Member

Hi,

I had the same problem and discovered 2 solutions / work arounds.
    (I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2.)

The problem you mention (not being able to change the Display Name) appears when using Samsung Social Hub if you set the hotmail, gmail, or other email-account as a premium account.

The 2 solutions / work arounds are:
    * use Samsung Social Hub and DON'T set your e-mail (hotmail, gmail, etc) as a premium account. You lose 'push' functionality. This does not apply to "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" e-mail.
    * use the hotmail (or gmail) app.

These aren't the only strange things on Samsung (Galaxy) smart phones. But that's for another topic.
  8. gavin watson

gavin watson New Member

There is a solution to this here.
  9. ThatOneRearEnd

ThatOneRearEnd Well-Known Member

In case anyone's still interested, here's the real solution:
    You need a rooted phone and a SQL-Editor installed on it.

Navigate to /data/data/com.android.email/databases/EmailProvider.db. Select the Account-table and search for the column "sender name". Here you can edit the value to nearly anything you want. Save, exit, stop the email-app via settings and launch it again.

It works not only on ICS but also on JB...
  10. macnero

macnero New Member

Thanks ThatOneRearEnd but when I navigate to the folder /data/data/com.android.email/databases it says that it is empty. I can't find EmailProvider.db anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  11. ThatOneRearEnd

It is there, at least if you created an account within the app in the first place.

[​IMG]
  12. giorojasj

giorojasj New Member

Any luck with this... I have the same problem and it is kind of anoying...solutions? My phone is not rooted...so I guess that is why i cannot access EmailProvider.db....answers pleaseeee!!!
  13. ThatOneRearEnd

Yes, that's the problem...
  14. giorojasj

giorojasj New Member

Is there any way I can work this around without rooting my phone?
    This is very anoying...a very expensive phone that doesnt do what is suppose to do!!!
  15. ThatOneRearEnd

It's not a phone fault, it's a software one...

I can't think of any other solution than either root your device or go and buy a different one...