Change default app

Last Updated:

1. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you change a default application for opening a file type. I am evaluating several programs for viewing my pictures. I had no default defined so that when I tapped a jpg file I got a popup menu asking which app I wanted to open it with. Someway or another I managed to check the box that says use this as the default and tapped the app before I could uncheck it. So now the built in picture viewer is set as the default and I would like to clear that so I get the popup box again. Is there any way to do this?

Advertisement
  2. pking

pking Well-Known Member

Go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications (long pause while it loads)
    ... (makes a sandwich)
    There, now scroll down and select 'Albums', then 'Clear Defaults'

The next time you view an image from a file viewer it'll ask you to choose again.

3. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks!

4. daisy605

daisy605 Member

I tried this and my "Clear Defaults" is grayed-out (unable to select) and it says "No defaults selected", so how do i go about setting a default? I havent been prompted when I open any program, I have Handcent that I would like to use as my default messaging service, i tried selecting both Handcent and Messaging under Manage programs

thanks!

5. daisy605

daisy605 Member

i actually figured out the answer to my question above :) ...in case someone else doesnt know, for the HTC Droid Eris anyway, to set default programs you need to go into People and select a contact and select to send a text and then it will prompt you which program (Handcent, Messaging, etc.) to use and if you want to set 1 as default, same steps w/ setting the default email program :)