Change default messaging appSupport

Last Updated:

1. natty

natty Member

Hi all. First post here. I tried searching (a lot) and couldn't find the answer.

You know the box that pops up when you send a text that asks what app you want to use? There is a message at the bottom that tells you how to change defaults once you check the "don't ask me again" box.

I didn't bother to read that and now can't find where to change the default.

Anyone know or can someone look at that box and read what it says at the bottom? I can't anymore since I chose a default and the box no longer pops up.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. bluekornchips

bluekornchips Well-Known Member

Simply turn off notifications on the default messaging app. easy as that
  3. natty

natty Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm specifically talking about Google voice. So I went to the settings and unchecked "inbox notifications". Not sure what that has to do with setting the default messaging app. I still am not getting the option box of what app to use so which app is it now using since I unchecked that box?? And where do I see that? And what if I want to switch back to the native app or if I want to choose every time?

I really good with computers but sorry if I'm not quite getting this. New to smart phones and android.
  4. iEcliptik

iEcliptik Member

you should be able to go to the specific App (under Manage Applications in the Settings), and click clear defaults. Needs to be the one you checked to be the default app you use when a message comes in.
    response and jamesdean like this.
  5. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

are you using google voice?

If so you might be getting sms forwarded to you mobile number.
    If you do have then you will get a notifications from Google Voice and from default messaging app.

So if you want to use your google voice app log onto voice.google.com and under settings uncheck forward messages to cell phones.
  6. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

None of the other answers posted had anything to do with the OP question. This is the correct answer to solve the problem.
  7. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

Yes it is but then he said he was talking about google voice.
  8. TheLurg1687

TheLurg1687 Well-Known Member

I just wish I could get my SMS, MMS, Facebook, Gchat (that I just found out I had...fail) etc to come through together. It's annoying haha. I tried looking for a good app to do that. A lot of ppl I know have IM+ but it sucks.
  9. natty

natty Member

Thanks, I think this is what I was looking for. I'm still not getting that pop-up asking me which app to use, standard app or G voice. I can't remember what triggered that.

A question: If I remember right, when I initiated a text from the native app (or replied to one that came in on the native app), that's when it asked which app to use. So that means you can text from the native app and have it go through G voice (if you choose Gvoice from the pop up box).

So does this mean that if you choose G voice as the default by clicking "don't ask again", all subsequent texts will go through G voice even if you initiate the text from the native app, just as it does when you manually select G voice from the pop-up???