Change from 4g to 3gGeneral

Last Updated: 2013-02-20 19:46:50
  1. summoandroid

summoandroid Active Member

I have searched and can't find the answer.

I want to be able to switch from 3g to 4g and back without rebooting.

Does anyone know an app or another way?

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hello there:)
    What carrier do you have?
    I am just curious why you would want to switch to 3G vs 4G? 4G is so much faster.
    Is 4G not available in some places where you go?
    Wouldn't the phone auto switch to 3G if 4G was not available?
  3. javamann

javamann Well-Known Member

Yes, but isn't it true that the phone will continue it's search for the 4G thereby using the battery almost continuously?
  4. jkoch2272

jkoch2272 Active Member

Mikestony likes this.
  5. summoandroid

summoandroid Active Member

I have Sprint. I am in Dallas. The 4g is spotty. Sometimes I can't internet to work and I change it to 3g it works good.
  6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Im pretty sure i saw a big thread about this on Android Central's main s3 forum but, being banned, i cant check it out for u mate lol sorry.
    Yeah aparently 4g eats a lot of power when youre in a bad 4g area. Im surprized touchwiz hasnt included a simple toggle for the LTE models....
    ..or, as Mike says, put out a minor update or app that makes the phone switch automaticly to 3g when 4g strength drops below a certain level

Sometimes my hspa+ is SLOWER than my hsdpa so a (im guessing hspa+ users are putting more demand on the cell tower) toggle for that would be nice
  7. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

In weak signal areas, both 3G and 4G battery drain is equally bad, but in decent to good signal areas, the 4G is actually better for the VZW version. This does not mean the 4G radio is great, but more that the 3G radio IMO is awful. I have had two GS3's and same result. Both are stock devices. 3G for whatever reason is a battery sucking mess on the GS3 and has been since launch.

Complete opposite of the Razr. For it, 4G was awful for battery drain and 3G was great.
  8. imaconeheadXD

imaconeheadXD Active Member

Go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, and change network mode, there's one for lte and one without lte, no need for an app or anything else, it's right there in the settings :p
  9. jackroo

jackroo Well-Known Member

May I ask how you got banned from Android Central?
  10. funkylogik

Disagreement with the mods and certain staff mate.
    I find them racist and egotist, they disagree :)
    Was pretty funny since i had just won 2 out of 8 categorys in the member voted Mobile Nations (owners or whatever of AC) contest.
    The mods on this site are FAR nicer people in general :)
    jackroo likes this.
  11. jackroo

jackroo Well-Known Member

Racism isn't cool and then having an ego is dumb, mate. Shame on them! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated here though! I like reading your opinion and tips along with SURoot. You both are great! Thanks!
    funkylogik and Mikestony like this.
  12. funkylogik

Aww thanks man :)
    My ban is only for a month but i wont go back to that forum. I still keep in touch with the friends i made on there.
    One of them has started a site "android freezone" lol the home page is hillarious.. its headline is "just like AC but our mods arent ****s" lol :)
    jackroo likes this.