• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Change Gmail Account

brettlewis

Android Expert
Nov 3, 2009
Arizona
I'm looking to chnage my primary account for my android phone but am not looking to loose all my information while doing it. :D

The gmail account i set up my first android phone with was really just a bin for all my other crazy emails to go to. I finally got to creating a real gmail account for myself and want to tie my phone to this account instead.

Login to www.Gmail.com with your old account using a browser. Is all your email and contacts there? If so, going to menu, settings, Accounts & Sync, Google, and clicking "Remove Account" on your PHONE will not effect your google acount online. However, anything stored on your PHONE under that account will be lost.

In other words, removing a google account on your phone does not remove your online google account. Just the ability to connect to it using your phone.

To move your contacts over to the new account, export the contacts using your old gmail account online and then import them into your new gmail account. Click on export in gmail online when viewing your contacts and follow the instructions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones