Change Gmail associated with google account?

Last Updated:

1. daviss

daviss Member This Topic's Starter

This is driving me insane. When I setup my Hero I had to setup a gmail account, even though I have a Google Account. I setup a gmail account to get the phone setup. I now want to make my gmail account something that makes a little more sense to me. I am not using my gmail account but apparently it shows on Google Latitude to my friends, etc.

My question is how does one unlink a gmail account and add a new one? When I go to my Google Accounts to delete gmail it says it will take about 2 days. I wait 2 days and nothing happens. If I attempt to add Gmail back to my Google Account is hows my old address and will not allow me to create a new one. Is it not possible to change the linked gmail address to your google account??

Advertisement
  2. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Google Apps> "Clear data">OK

This will delete the Google account details on your mobile.

To enter new details Menu Settings>Data Synchronization>Google and you'll be prompted with the set up dialogue. Enter your new account details. Hope this helps

3. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

Just to add... Be sure you transfer contacts/calendar/apps...etc, which may be associated with your current g-mail account to your new one. If not you may lose the data.

4. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

5. Griever

Initially I said 'will' - however if data is backed up on the sim... it wouldn't be lost - or would it? Which is why I chose 'may'

6. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

well contacts sure, but i don't think you can store google calendar entries etc. on a sim

7. daviss

Thanks for the tips however they arnt what I am looking for. I know I can change the gmail account on my phone. However, I am looking to change the gmail account associated with my Google Account which is me@domain.com. Right now I have bleh@gmail.com associated with my me@domain.com google account...

I have my contacts synced to both my exchange server at me@domain.com as well as on the google account associated with the same address.

Does this make sense?

8. Griever

I don't think I fully understand... Is it that you have e.g. a personal account associated with a business account, but wanna change it so you have a business account associated with a personal account? If thats the case :-

- Go into the google mail website. Sign into me@domain.com.
    - Click on Settings on the top right corner of the page
    - In your Settings go into Account and Import
    - Click Add POP3 email account
    - Follow the instructions and fill in the details of the bleh@gmail.com
    - Once thats done remain at the Account and Import screen and click the Google Account settings, then Edit Personal Information and finally add bleh@gmail.comto the [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add [/FONT][/SIZE]an additional e-mail address box

All that is left now is to log into your bleh@gmail.com account
    - Go Into Settings
    - click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
    - Select
    Forward a copy of incoming mail to...
    - put the me@domain.com address in the box
    - click the setting you want POP to enable (For all mail or mail that arrives from now on ).
    - save Changes

This should cover all aspects of an associated account.
    Hope it Helps

NOTE: If you have a business account you might have a specific function to do this an easier way. I'm only on a standard account

9. daviss

Griever, thanks but here is my situation hopefully a bit more clear.

I have a Google Account setup with me@mydomain.com. When I sign into google.com I use this address.
    [​IMG]
    After it logs me it shows my Gmail account(lets pretend it's me@gmail.com)that is associated to my Google Account at the top.
    [​IMG]
    If I go to the Google Settings I see Gmail associated under "My Products"
    [​IMG]
    What I want to do is change the Gmail account, me@gmail.com that is "associated" with my me@mydomain.com account. If I click "Edit" by "My Products" and remove Gmail and choose to remove it permanently and then sign out and back in with me@mydomain.com again I get the following in the upper corner:
    [​IMG]

What I want to do is add Gmail back to my Google Account(because my phone requires me to have a gmail to use it). If I now go back to "My Products" and then add Gmail I am brought to the Gmail sign up screen:
    [​IMG]
    It will not allow me to add a new gmail account. It still shows my previous gmail.com that was "permanently removed"

I want to change the gmail account to something more appropriate. When I originally set up the gmail account on my Hero i just picked anything to get into the hero. Deleting my google account and starting a new one isnt an option, really..
    Does this make more sense?

10. daviss

any thoughts?

11. diyism

diyism New Member

In fact, Google take your very first account name as the internal account name, but not your email account.

12. daviss

Yeah, I understand this. All I want to do is add a new gmail account, heh.

13. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

my account -> personal settings -> email addresses -> edit -> add an additional email address

i haven't added one myself, but i'd imagine you can change that to your primary address afterwards

14. daviss

It will not allow you to add a gmail address. The idea here is I want to create a new gmail address and have it linked to my google account...

15. SeanBond

SeanBond Member

I've been searching the forums for this answer, and was excited to see that it was this easy, only there is *not* a "Google Apps" listed in "Manage Applications".

When I first got my N1, I set it up with a Gmail/Google account that I no longer want to use. Do I have to reset the phone to factory default to change this?

EDIT: I have the Nexus One... so clearly the answer didn't apply to me. Advice is still appreciated, though I did post in the "Nexus One" section also.

16. dhk

dhk New Member

I never added any email addresses to "Sending/receiving email from other accounts" section. I added one email address (gmail) for the purpose of "Password reset information". Later, I removed it and suddenly I see that the email address is automatically added as my alternative sending email. I never did anything to do so, nor even tried for. After that, I added another email address for "Password reset information" and verified but still I see that the old email address is there as the alternative email address. When I go to "new message" to send email message I see these two drop-down options. Surprisingly, I searched all the Linked accounts and email addresses sections but the email address is nowhere. So I cannot remove it. If it were in "Sending/receiving email from other accounts" or Linked accounts or email addresses sections; I could remove that. What should I do in this situation?