change GSM auto prl to CDMA autoSupport

1. mreortiz

mreortiz Well-Known Member

I saw this suggestion on a post somewhere and I was wondering what does this change and how (other than better battery life...supposedly) will this affect my phone? Will it continue to work the same as before? or will it only work in sprint network with no roaming or what? Can anyone fill me in?

Advertisement
    :
  2. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this also. Is the change permanent or do you have to perform this trick after every reboot?
  3. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

After every reboot.
  4. mreortiz

Well, I just changed it to CDMA auto prl and i did a battery pull reboot and it didn't revert to gsm auto prl.
  5. bestphonever

bestphonever Active Member

Real quick, how do you navigate to that menu again?
  6. mreortiz

I got this from another post by Dreamliner....I just wanted to give credit where credit was due.

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).
    supaumar likes this.
  7. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

8. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member

My phone was already set to cdma.
  9. bestphonever

bestphonever Active Member

Soo was mine haha, thank God.

Thanks for the help guys. I love this forum. I dont know why I was so scarred to actually post and stop lurking.
  10. kennyfte

kennyfte Member

I just did this and encountered serious service issues. I get almost perfect service in my apartment (NYC), and once I changed it to CDMA auto my service was VERY poor. Twenty minutes later my phone rebooted on its own (first time that has ever happened). Now it is back to normal. I checked the setting again and it reverted back to GSM auto. Not sure why it happened but considering the setting change I would be cautious.
  11. cesjr02

mine definitely reverted back to GSM after reboot.
  12. mreortiz

Did you do a battery pull....or simply shut the phone off and put it back on?

I did a battery pull, checked, and it remained on cdma....i powered off my phone, turned it back on, checked...and it still was on cdma...it didn't revert back to the gsm option and I checked to make sure it wasn't a visual glitch either.
  13. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Mine too. Always stays on CDMA.
  14. cesjr02

No battery pull, I did leave it off for a few minutes though.
  15. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

if it doesnt stick, just download the app Network, it makes it easy to redo it after reboot
  16. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

^examples of people that are not FULLY FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS

IF you followed the directions COMPLETELY you would discover that just because it says 'CDMA' (Which, all of them, including mine say, at the beginning) does not mean it IS 'CDMA' pressing the menu button and choosing 'select radio band' will reveal its set to 'GSM'

So, next time...FOLLOW ALL OF THE FRUIT LOOPIN' DIRECTIONS!!!!!

Your punishment for not following directions fully: 12 hour battery life :rolleyes:

Ravensthief likes this.
  17. scott314

scott314 Member

^^^ I don't understand this part. My understanding is that the EVO doesn't even have a GSM radio. How could this be preventing the CDMA radio from sleeping?
  18. kellte2

kellte2 Well-Known Member

Mine has also always been set at CDMA. Doesn't change on reboot, etc.
  19. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

Because its dumb. Theres really no other excuse, its a stupid oversight on someones part and needs to be patched.
  20. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

mine won't let me into that menu. lol. android force closes when I try to open it.
    I still have good battery life though. :D

nvm. can change it after the 'force close'
  21. anleva

anleva Well-Known Member

I have a different perspective on what may be happening here. Just a guess though.

When I enter the "phone info" screen and scroll down "set preferred network type" is already highlighted as "CDMA auto (PRL)". This seems to be the choice when the underlying service/application is running.

When I follow the instructions and hit "menu" and "select radio band" I am presented with a force close and after the close I scroll down and "GSM auto (prl)" is selected. This is when the underlying service/application is not running (it was force closed)

I think what is happening is that this is just a configuration selection after the application has been closed. It was closed by the force close. Just so happens that the first item on the list is highlighted. I don't think it means that this is the choice when the service is running. When the service/application is running the configuration file is loaded and I see a correct "CDMA auto" selection in my "phone info" screen.

Just a guess.
  22. squeakr

squeakr Member

The first item is not selected. If you scroll up you will see many other items above it. I too thought it was the first and then tried to scroll up and voila, there were more options above it, so it is definitely not the first. It is grabbing a coded default, which obviously is set to GSM(Auto). Seems like it would be any easy fix for a developer and should have been caught by the beta testers.
    :(
  23. anleva

anleva Well-Known Member

Not sure then how to account for the fact that when I enter the phone info screen CDMA auto is highlighted, but when I force close the service and configure it pre-selects GSM auto. Is the selection while the service is running what the phone is doing or the choice when the service is stopped in the configuration screen? Needs to be fixed either way.
  24. m109rider

m109rider Member

After you change it from gsm auto to cdma auto, do you just hit the home button or do you have to save it somehow, or does it automatically save?
  25. Selfdestruct

Selfdestruct Well-Known Member

Ill just wait for an OTA fix for this problem