• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Change kindle fire is to android is with google play?

I don't know about the Fire HD 6, but just this past spring I installed Cyanogenmod on my original Kindle Fire HD 7. It was not a trivial operation and I ended up soft-bricking it and had to buy a special "fast boot" cable to rescue it. My advice is to go to the XDA Developers site to see what they have for your exact model of Kindle Fire and to follow their directions EXACTLY. I don't recall the site address, but if you do a search on XDA Developers you will find it. Just be aware that it is not easy and there are many potential pitfalls along the way, some of which can brick your tablet.

Despite the fact that it was quite difficult, installing Cyanogenmod, I am so happy that I installed it. I now have a 2012 tablet running Android Lollipop. How cool is that?

EDIT: I think you can root your tablet and install the Google Apps without installing a new ROM like I did. Again, I have to refer you to the XDA Developers site for detailed information for your particular device. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you have to follow their instructions to the letter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones