• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change My Touch 3g Software to HTC Magic Software

Hello

I have a My Touch 3G phone I bought in america. Its basically a HTC magic but with a different name and more importantly different (american) software.

It very annoying living in the UK and having it. The Market always diverts to American apps, google maps goes to US first. Google always show american search (even though i go to google.co.uk).

Does anyone know how I can change the software to HTC magic software so it really becomes a HTC magic?

Thanks

I don't think it's the fact you've got Mytouch branded software it's the localisation settings causing your problems.

I rooted my Magic (voda UK) and installed a Mytouch ROM, installing the rom did nothing to alter my settings to US ones. My phone still thinks it is a mytouch and I've never had problems like you describe.

To switch to a Magic you'd have root the device and install a Magic ROM, but I'd be tempted to just install something like cyanogenmod after wiping your phone, this will give you the benefit of running Android 2.2

Upvote 0
just change your localisation settings in settings-local&text-select local english (united kingdom) them use back key to get out, i have a vodafone magic 1.6 i changed mine to IONv1.6.3G.zip + MTpatch-RA-IONv1.6.3G.zip i also changed the
HBOOT-1.33.0007 to 1.33.2004 engineering and the radio from radio 2.22.19.261 to
2.22.23.02, but you must first put on recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img. i tried cyanogen 6 final but my phone just lagged when browsing the net, so i reverted to the above, its faster than the original 1.6 i also removed the ugly vodafone splash screen to a nice android splash, you have to have patients doing all this or you will brick your phone, recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img is a must have first thing
at the moment t-mobile usa have ota 2.2 update thats been tweaked for the magic
in the states its a My Touch 3G phone, no doubt it will get ported so you can flash that to your uk magic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones