• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Change permissions on a single file (hosts)

patmurph123

Apr 16, 2014
Xperia M. I had rooted with Framaroot. Got a Sony update - from 4.1.2 to 4.3. Now I can't root because bootloader unlockable = NO. Sony claim it's the carrier but it was their update that upset things.

I can live without rooting but would like to change the /etc/hosts file permissions (chmod 777) - for obvious reasons. This seems impossible without root - or is it ?

I have SDK on my PC (W7) - I also have Linux Mint O/S available but am a guru with neither. Anybody know how I can chmod this teeny weeny file ?

I'm aware that root is needed to act like superman / superuser but is there any get-around ? e.g. can ADB or any utility be used to change the setting of Rooting Status from "Bootlocker unlock allowed: No" to Yes. If this were possible the rest is easy. If not can anything in SDK be used to chmod 777 the hosts file ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones