Change picture compression size?General

1. H2342

H2342 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to change how much messages compresses an image when u try to send it in a text? When I take a picture and share it in messages it says picture is too large and starts compressing it. It compresses it down to 14kb. It says picture can be as large as 1000kb but every time it compresses it to 14kb and don't know how to change it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think you could change how much it compresses to send in an email. If you change the resolution that the camera records at then it won't have to compress as much, but you will be losing some quality. Don't worry about it, just make sure the camera is set to 5M (2560x1920) Resolution, High Quality, and Wide screen unchecked. This will give you the best quality picture, then let it compress to send. If you need the best quality to print or send to someone, transfer it to your pc.
  3. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I've noticed that Handcent compresses my pictures way smaller than stock messaging app, so I tend to use stock messaging for picture messages.
  4. H2342

H2342 Well-Known Member

what does widescreen unchecked do to make it better quality?
  5. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Handcent has an option to change the size. I have mine set at the 1mb size and it works just fine at least to verizon customers. It may have problems out of network but I haven't been advised of such. If you don't want the pictures to be compressed you can send them via email.
  6. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

It's not actually better quality, but it's the full pic. With wide screen checked the camera crops the pic to make it fit a wide screen format. Unchecked it's a 2560x1920 pixels, checked it's 2560x1712 pixels. So unchecked you have more room to work with and you can crop later if you want.