Changes in email mgmt?Support

Last Updated:

1. bamaster

bamaster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A quick question.... has Froyo changed the way it manages email?

My Evo checks my POP email. I have a few accounts, no biggie. But before Froyo it would download the messages, and once the message was deleted from the server (by downloading in Outlook), the message would remain on the phone.

After Froyo, however, the messages are better sync'ed. If I delete a message from the server, it is removed from the Evo. This is how my Palm Pre managed mail and I like it!

Anyone notice the same? Was that a setting I overlooked?

Lastly, signal strength has improved with Froyo. I never had better than 1 bar in my office 36 floors up, but now I get 3-4 bars. :D

Advertisement
  2. BWinc

BWinc Member

Yes, it lokks as if it defaulted the Send & Receive settings. I had to go back and and turn off deleting messages from the server on the accounts I didn't want that to happen.

3. elteedub

elteedub Active Member

i want my emails to stay on my phone..how do i make it do that..i dont like that when i check them on my computer it deletes them from my phone!!!

4. XOS THW

XOS THW Well-Known Member

Where do you see that option? In my send & receive, i see no option that turns off deleting things from the server..
    HELP!

5. XOS THW

XOS THW Well-Known Member

Coincidence? I have Mac Mail and had to delete and reinstall the account to see my emails...

6. Geek Goddess

Geek Goddess Well-Known Member

The OP is saying that messages they have originally downloaded to the phone are now being deleted. It used to be if you downloaded messages to the phone, THEN deleted them from the server from home, the messages still stayed on your phone. Now, (as I also noticed happened), if you delete the messages from the server from your main email client (mine is POP), it is deleting them from the phone also the next time you check your email on the phone.

I agree ... sometimes I want to leave the messages on my phone for reference (just as I want to keep messages on my main email client after downloading), but now if the message has been deleted from the server, it's automatically deleting it on the phone. There's no setting to fix that. That just started with Froyo, I definitely think you should be able to choose whether to manually delete your messages from your phone or not. It seems the only way to keep them on your phone now is to NOT delete them from the server, which sux ....

7. elteedub

elteedub Active Member

confused..im not deleting them from my work computer just reading them ...then i close it out open my phone email and they are gone

8. djron

djron Active Member

i am also having problems with email. when my Evo receives an email if i read it or not and i do a manual update to check for more email they delete/disappear :mad: this starting happening after the Froyo release and upgrade this morning. any help will be appreciated. :confused:

9. oldspice

oldspice New Member

Same here - I want to keep the mail on my EVO after I've viewed on my computer. Before Froyo, I could. Now, I can't.

10. bamaster

bamaster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think this is an on-purpose change. This is exactly how it was handled on the Palm Pre. On the Pre, too, I wasn't able to flag a message to not be deleted when removed from server.

There have been times that I wanted to keep a message on my phone. Now it seem we've lost that ability. Hmmm... I suppose I could move it into a different folder, I never tried that.

11. djron

djron Active Member

me again. update. i have tried multiple times doing the factory reset with no go. i am using HTC mail and setting up pop3 mail provider. now whenever evo goes out to check for emails it deletes/disappears ANY EMAIL READ OR UN-READ from my inbox:mad::eek::confused::(. all this since FROYO update.

12. droidevo

droidevo New Member

this sucks!! mine is doing it too :(
    anyone heard of a fix?

13. djron

djron Active Member

14. djron

djron Active Member

Its also happening on K-9 mail and Droid Mail. WEIRD???:confused::confused::eek:

15. EvoDon

EvoDon New Member

I noticed the problem as soon as my EVO restarted following the froyo update. All messages I had been keeping on my phone initially showed up and then disappeared as soon as it was detected the messages were no longer on the server. I finally realized the messages are deleted on the phone after I have downloaded them on my PC, which deletes them on the server. This was not the pre-froyo behavior.

I found a message in another thread that said HTC Support responded "we are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible". The Sprint Support site seems to be having problems right now, so I have not been able to check there.

16. ksfrogman

ksfrogman Member

I have a HTC Incredible and my Mail application was working perfectly for my two POP email accounts. After the Froyo 2.2 update, all my stored email disappeared. My inbox will receive new email and keep it there for a time, but a few hours it disappears. This is very frustrating, because I need to keep much of my email in the inbox so I can go back and reply or reference it.

Even K-9 Mail does the same thing, so I suspect it's not the individual application, but the way in which Froyo handles POP email. By the way, my gmail app works just fine.

17. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

K9 has a setting to "Sync remote deletions". If you uncheck it, your mail will stay on your phone even though you've removed it via your desktop/laptop computer.

Also, you may want to set every client that accesses your mailbox to "leave mail on server" and "delete from server when I delete".

Finally, if you can, go with IMAP so you don't have to worry about all of these settings.