Changes on top of android?

Last Updated:

1. Techno79

Techno79 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know what changes have been made on top of android by both HTC and T-mobile. They both could have potentially made their own customisations. If no one knows, how can I find out the answer? Thanks very much.

Advertisement
  2. Syrax

Syrax Well-Known Member

I doubt that either group has made their own changes to the Android OS, though T-mobile could have requested certain characteristics. I do know that android was customized to the HTC's Dream (G1) hardware device. So expect each Android device to be a lil different. As far as I know T-mobile hasn't asked for specific features in Android besides the Fav 5.

In the past ie: Sidekick, t-mobile has asked that features such as custom ringtones and bluetooth file transfers be disabled. This is not the case with the G1.

3. Techno79

Techno79 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply.

So is the source code released for Android exactly what is on the G1 out of the box?

Could one recompile the Android source code and slap it on the G1 or are there bits missing from the Android source code?

Thanks.

4. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

You sure?

Because why would HTC or Google have been the ones to decide upon the removal of Bluetooth FTP, DUN/PAN? The pre-release Bluetooth stack was a lot richer according to everyone who saw it ...

The likely cause of that decision certainly would seem to be T-Mobile.

5. Alarictric

Alarictric Member

the explanation that i had read was that there were potential security flaws with the bluetooth so google decided to go ahead with crippled bluetooth rather than none or unsecure bluetooth