Changes that FroYo(build DDJP6) brings about to the Galaxy SSupport

Last Updated:

1. Enthrall

Enthrall Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hullo! :)

I thought I'd make a list of the changes that FroYo(DDJP6) brings about, since I've noticed a few questions being asked about it and I couldn't find a thread related to it(maybe my Search terms were different :))

So far, these are what I've noticed, and I will keep adding to them:

==========================================================
    . TouchWiz now has pinch-to-zoom

2. Swype has a 'move-cursor-to-edit' option. Click on text and you'll get a small indicator of the cursor's current position

3. You can take Screenshots. Hold the "Back" button for a second and then press the "Home" button.

4. When you push the "Power" key for a couple of seconds, you'll see an added option - "Data network mode", along with the previously existing "Power Off" mode.

5. USSD Codes (*111#, *123#, etc.) will now run without having to switch off the "Mobile Tracker", helps with viewing your available Credit Balance!

6. Swype's word-prediction has gone for a toss, although usage over a few days will get it back in shape, predicting the words you mostly use once again.

7. Browsing lenghty menus (e.g. message list, Contact list) is faster than before, as compared to the stock Eclair (unrooted, no lagfix). However the App Drawer seems to be a little jerky, but I think that might be because of my version of LauncherPro Plus (0.8.1.1)

8. New Widgets have been added (e.g. News & Weather, Dual Clock, Market, Home Screen Tips, etc.)

9. The "Task Manager" that comes pre-installed (at least it was in mine) now has a separate tab for "RAM Manager" which lets you clear memory at 2 Levels.

10. "Samsung Keypad" now has a "Voice-to-Text" input option available.

11. Skype works.

12. There's a "Voice Search" application in the App Drawer.

13. The "Market" is slightly different, with a separate tab for "Comments" once you select an Application.

14. You can pinch-zoom on the App Screen in TouchWiz to see thumbnail views of your installed Applications (by 'nishunb')

15. Creating Playlists is now easier! When you create a new Playlist in the Music Player....you can select multiple songs ala iPhone/iPod Touch style ;) (by 'adbaby89')

16. The soft-key "Back" button seems to have been disabled while playing Videos. Instead, a new "Back" option has been introduced in the top right corner to exit the video. Tap once on the screen to pull down this option (by 'adbaby89')

17. The 'YouTube' Application has been updated. You can now view Comments while watching Videos. (by 'abhinavj01')

18. A "Search Bar" has been added to the Contacts List. (by 'KBNN')

19. Flash works in the default Browser (by 'abhinavj01') [ Doh! How could I miss that! :) ]

20. Connecting in "Mass Storage" mode is now more User-Friendly. You don't have to pull down the Notification Bar to "Mount SD Card". Instead, a message is displayed on the screen that allows you to "Turn On" Mass Storage. (by 'abhinavj01')

21. To immediately 'mute' an incoming Call, you can press the "Power" Button once. You can't unmute it this way though. (by 'sebyyy' )

22. The "Logs" show all the logs including Calls as well as Messages, as opposed to Eclair. However, you can tap the "Menu" button and view specific logs, e.g. Dialled, Received, Messages, etc. (by 'SGSI')

23. When you switch the Phone off, it vibrates to indicate when its completely shut down. (by 'caesey')

24. You can uninstall Applications by dragging their Widgets from the Homescreen to the 'trash can' while removing them, and hold it there for a second. (by 'PinkMirrorKirby') [ I can do this on LauncherPro - couldn't earlier; but not on TouchWiz ]

25. Applications can be moved to the external SD Card as long as they support this feature.

26. GMail's interface has improved. You can now see colored labels, mini Toolbar within mails(star, reply, reply all, fwd), minor UI tweaks, and the overall experience is a lot snappier. (by 'caesey')

27. Groups made in gmail contacts are now visible on phone's contact groups list. These were not previously visible on eclair. (by 'Purnil')

28. With Android 2.2 USB storage mode works on a Mac 10.6 system without going to the Debug mode as you had to in 2.1 (by 'KingsleyM') [ I can't confirm this since I haven't got my Hands on a Macintosh, but we'll trust Kingsley! :) ]

29. According to a lot of Posts and from personal experience of monitoring(judiciously) for more than 2 Weeks, it can be confirmed that FroYo has reduced the Battery life of the Galaxy S.

==========================================================

Minor changes:
    1. The AllShare application icon has changed
    2. While switching the Phone on, the "S" that was displayed in plain milky White earlier once the flashing ends, now appears in 3D dirty White.
    3. The number of options have increased when you press the 'Call' icon. Now there is a SMS shortcut at the bottom of Dialler screen (by 'nishunb')
    4. "USB Settings" (Kies/Mass storage/...) has gone from:
    'Settings->About phone' in Eclair to 'Settings ->Wireless and Network' in Froyo
    (by 'SGSI')
    5. Menu icons added when you enter the first screen of "Settings"
    6. There is an "Auto-rotate" option in the notification bar, and the "Vibrate" option has been changed to "Silent".
    7. After opening a conversation midway in the Messages list, tapping on "Back" takes you to the position of the previous position and not to the start of the list, unlike Eclair. (by 'abhinavj01')
    8. The Applications have been re-arranged in an Alphabetical order in the TouchWiz App Drawer. (by 'abhinavj01')
    9. A new 'Folders' Widget has been added to the TouchWiz Widget List. This was already provided by LauncherPro. (by 'abhinavj01')
    10. A few more Wallpapers (Static and Live) (by 'abhinavj01')
    11. Few Applications such as "Press Reader" have been added, but they haven't been enabled yet. (by 'ajincp')
    12. Quadrant score increased marginally, both were run on stock ROM only (no lag fixes)
    Eclair - 867
    Froyo - 897 (by 'caesey')
    13. The front facing Camera shortcut (Self-shot) is now directly available at the top left corner of the Camera interface (by 'KBNN')
    14. The Notification Bar has thicker icons e.g. the Alarm Clock. (by 'Purnil')
    15. The Gallery allows you to peek into Picture stacks using a pinch-to-zoom-out gesture. (by 'Purnil')
    16. When you sneak at peek at the Screen while on a Call, you will notice the Notification Bar has turned Green in color. I'm not sure what use this is, but it's a change. (by 'sagarthaker')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll keep adding to the list as we 'discover' more, and you could give me some points to add to the list as well! If a feature that was already present in Eclair (unrooted/not lagfixed) has been mentioned here as well, please let me know.

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement
  2. nishunb

nishunb Member

One more from my side

You can pinch and zoom on the app screen to see thumbnail views of your installed apps

Nishant

Enthrall likes this.
  3. Aravindan

Aravindan Well-Known Member

Hi,

When we install apps from Market, we are not getting an option to install in the SD Card. Wasnt this part of the enhancements? I do understand that we can move the apps to SD card from the option under Manage Applications in Settings.

4. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

You can do this by going to Settings

5. rynlpin

Think I may have just inadvertently expressed my undying love for you out loud, among friends!!! :eek: :D

Thanks so much, especially for the screencapture trick. I was looking for ways to capture my screen without linking to my PC and downloading third-party apps. Never thought I could achieve this just by pressing 2 buttons! Thanks!

6. nishunb

nishunb Member

Hi

there are couple more things I noticed

1. The number of options have increased when you press the 'Call' icon. Now there is a sms shortcut at the bottom of screen also

2. When you install the 'Settings' widget on the home screen, the last option for controlling brightness has one more additional option for 'Automatic' brightness.

7. adbaby89

adbaby89 Member

Making playlists is now easier! Now when u create a new playlist on device....it asks u to multiple select the songs ala iPhone/iPod Touch style ;)

Enthrall likes this.
  8. Enthrall

Hehe, yes the Screen capture is great! I've been taking Asphalt 5 screenshots just for the heck of it :D

I added the "Settings" shortcut from "Activities", but I couldn't find 'Automatic' brightness there. However, I do remember an option for 'Automatic' brightness being there before the upgrade as well.

Please do correct me if I'm delusional about that :D

9. SGSI

SGSI Well-Known Member

USB Settings (Kies/Mass storage/...) has gone from Settings->About phone in Eclair to Settings ->Wireless and network in Froyo

Enthrall likes this.
  10. Enthrall

So that did happen! I've only set it once, to "Ask me when connecting" and have never touched that afterwards.
    After the upgrade, I was fumbling about in "About Phone" and finally found it in "Wireless & Networks", attributing it to my forgetfulness in the end :)

11. adbaby89

adbaby89 Member

one more: while playing a video the BACK button does nothing! Instead the video gets exited when u touch the back button on the PLAYING screen(top right) Actually very happy with this! i have exite the vid accidentally many a times :p

12. Enthrall

Right! I noticed that as well! Adding it :)

13. abhinavj01

abhinavj01 Member

pressing back button while using default browser, closes the browser instead of just minimizing as earlier.

14. abhinavj01

abhinavj01 Member

post froyo upgrade, all my installed apps got re-arranged in Alphabetical order

15. abhinavj01

abhinavj01 Member

after browsing messages, back button does not go back to 1st msg but returns to position of last read message

16. abhinavj01

abhinavj01 Member

message icon on bottom most row (dunno what this row is called) displays unread messages

17. abhinavj01

abhinavj01 Member

long press on home screen has additional option to add Folders (dint notice this in previous version)

18. adbaby89

adbaby89 Member

Some more:
    Album art is now very clear! (on 2.1 it was very pixelated atleast for me)
    Mass Storage mode is now shown my a huge green android on screen :D
    Folder playback in android.
    Email/SMS now has iphone like unread count on their icons.
    Strangely (for me) the Market doesnt has update all/automatic updating features! :(
    Youtube app has become supercool!(u can see comments while watching)
    Flash works (but unusable really Jobs was right lol)
    A new live wallpaper(Beach)
    and basically more fine-tuning....

Enthrall likes this.
  19. KBNN

KBNN Member

Also search bar added in contacts!!

Enthrall likes this.
  20. rynlpin

Also, in 2.1...if you delete an app, there's a gap left in your application page where its icon used to be. Froyo allows you to drag and drop app icons to fill these gaps or just to simply rearrange icons to suit your preferences.

Enthrall likes this.
  21. cathwood

cathwood Member

It's more colourful (e.g. in 'settings' etc)

Enthrall likes this.
  22. sebyyy

sebyyy Active Member

Another change i noticed is, before when you get a call if you want to make the ring mute you have to rock the volume bar, but not you have to click the On off button.

Enthrall likes this.
  23. DroidRick

DroidRick Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know about Froyo's features! Is there a quick and easy way to 'downgrade' back to Eclair if you are not happy with Froyo? If there is a link to this I'd appreciate it.

24. Enthrall

Oh is that in TouchWiz? I had noticed that earlier, and it's also happening with me in FroYo - the empty space. Although, there was a way to fill that gap by tapping the "Menu" button and selecting the "Edit" option to move icons around, within and between the App Drawer(Application pages) Screens. Is that what you're referring to? :p

I've already added this in point 5 of "Minor Changes". Thanks though! :)

You're welcome! I have read about 'downgrades' being possible, but I must confess that I haven't tried it.

On a personal note, I'm a bit sceptical about messing around with my Phone on a lot of levels, seeing that it's so sensitive unpredictable - anything can go wrong with it and I would like to keep the Warranty! Who knows - the Customer Service might just blame it on you and say we don't cover it! :D

I'm pretty sure someone will come to your rescue to help you switch to Eclair though! :D

25. Enthrall

Heya Abhinav,

Thanks for all those helpful points! I would like to clarify a few of them:

It still doesn't 'exit' on my Phone.

This feature was present in the previous version as well, and that row is called a "Dock" :)

Could you explain these 2 please? I didn't quite understand them :p

Thanks again!