• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changes that FroYo(build DDJP6) brings about to the Galaxy S

Thanks Caesey, I'll add those points shortly!

Yea Ryan, I could. That's weird! :p

Okay before I add it to the list - Has anyone else experienced a massive battery drain after upgrading to FroYo? I've been getting a 20 hours battery life since the past 2 days after a full charge up. Whereas in Eclair, I used to get roughly 45 hours out of the same usage! The battery life seems to have halved.
I did see a few other threads on this, but I'm still not sure what the problem is. The "Running Services" are the basic ones, less than the ones I had running on Eclair in fact.
The Display uses up 85%... o_O

YES! this is mad. discharged from 100% to 90% in 1 hour. 5 minutes of wifi browsing and typing a couple of emails.
i cant figure out what's eating so much battery life!:eek:

Upvote 0
Why did Samsung add a task manager to Froyo when so many people here having been saying time and time again that Android knows how to manage its apps, there is not need to kill tasks/apps?

I'm still not convinced that Froyo can handle all running tasks on its own. I mean, does it have the functionality to kill the running tasks as per the defined periodicity? Even though the task manager shows 0 tasks running, once I open Advanced Task Killer, I can see that more than 5 apps running. I'm still puzzled why the Task manager didnt find that out!

Upvote 0
I noticed that if you use the Applications which have been transferred to the external SD card a lot, it consumes more Battery than it does when in the Phone memory.
I know it sounds pretty obvious since the CPU needs to supply Power to the external SD in order to access it, but depending on how much you make use of those Applications, the difference in Power consumption can be quite significant.

After moving the frequently-used Applications back to the Phone Memory, I did find Battery life improvement (well, relatively) and it's definitely no delusion!

Has anyone else tried this out? If not, do try it with the Apps that you use frequently and please do let us know what you've found! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I bought SGS i9000 last winter in Bangalore, India.

With Eclair I had no lag or hanging issues. About 15days after my purchase Samsung rolled out Froyo update.

But soon after the update I faced severe lag issues. But it automatically got rectified after a few weeks and now I am facing frequent hangs.... My set hangs every now and then and the worst part is, the frequency is on a steady increase!! :(

Only yesterday my SGS i9000 hung 3times in a span of about 6hours and everytime wanting me to remove the battery and restart.

There are times where I have waited for auto recovery from crash for about 3-4hours, but in vain. Not to deny that some times my phone recovers automatically in few seconds or minutes but most of the times I have to remove the battery and restart.

I tried reseting to factory settings 2-3 times and also go to manage applications and force close calender, alarm clock, gallery and other unwanted
apps to increase available RAM but in vain. :(

Any suggestions pls.

With Thanks,
Goku

Upvote 0
I have discovered something that I've not found to be documented anywhere else. Wondering if it needs to go here.

It seems that the trigger for lighting up the soft keys is now tied to the "Automatic brightness" setting under display settings

(settings > display settings > brightness > Automatic Brightness checkbox)

When checked, the softkeys will come on as soon as the phone is brought awake and the screen is touched to unlock (either puzzle piece or "slide to unlock).

when unchecked, the softkeys do not come on until one of them is actually touched.

I can see this being useful for reading in the dark.

Upvote 0
Anyone having an issue with the application icons rearranging themselves? I have 3 Angry Birds apps on page 6. Every now and then they will be moved to any empty slots on previous pages starting with page 1. I also get phantom notifications for events that are not listed in either the Android calendar or the DejaOffice calendar. I have the sync with Google calendar and holidays turned off. Very odd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones