Changes to Google contacts in Gmail don't update on phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen plenty of discussion on this but no concrete solutions so here goes.

I have a T-Mobile G2 using Android 2.2.

Up to this point I've been able to add/modify contacts on my phone and have them update with My Contacts in Gmail. This part of it works perfectly.

However, I just made a bunch of modifications to my contacts using Gmail on the desktop but none of the changes are updated to my phone. I have my gmail account on my phone set to sync contacts so I'm not sure what is going on.

Oddly, changes I make in Gmail to a contact (change name, for instance) update my phone just fine but NEW contacts I create in Gmail don't seem to get updated on my phone.

Advertisement
  2. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh crap I figured it out just as I posted this.

I've been separating my contacts for those that are husband/wife. Before, I had them as just one contact (i.e. Joe and Jane Smith) with all their phone numbers and emails in there. But I find that cumbersome so I've been splitting Joe and Jane into two different contacts. The mistake I made when I created a "Jane" contact is that I never deleted her phone number from the "Joe" contact (which had previously been a combination of the two). So I guess having the same number in two contacts confused Google so it kept the original. As soon as I deleted Jane's phone number from Joe's contact, Jane showed up in my phone contacts.

Solved!

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Good job on figuring it out!

4. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

BBOOZE 1, Technology 0 :)

5. sigma pi

sigma pi Member

Hi first post :D

I got the CSV file off my old phone and put it into google contacts on my gmail.

I set it to sync with the G2. Names have come in but no numbers :( what did i do wrong?

6. sigma pi

sigma pi Member

never mind all the numbers are not up top on the contact page. They are all on the bottom. I have to go through every one to put them at the top -______-