Changing a Default sound?

Last Updated:

1. RonH54

RonH54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to assign a different sound other than the default to your phone? I would like to change the Default sound that occurs when you plug in a USB connection to the phone. I have a Captivate phone.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

Only way I would know of would be to root the phone, find the system file of the sound that plays when you plug in a USB connection, and replace it with the sound file that you want to play.

Here is a thread that discusses a similar topic: Getting rid of the startup sound.

3. LukeOlson

OK, here are the steps for changing the default sound that occurs when you plug in a USB connection to your phone (Samsung Captivate):

(Some instructions taken from MrTony and maerlim.)

You'll need the Android SDK (guide to download and install is here)
    You'll need the USB drivers (Stickied post in this forum)
    You'll need root access (look for the Captivate Root thread by chaoscentral)
    You'll need Busybox (available on the market after you root the phone)

First, create the new file you would like to use as your sound. You need to have the file format be .ogg, because this file is going to replace the system file in your phone and it has to have the same name. (I used this free mp3/wma/ogg converter to convert a .wav file into .ogg.)

After you have created your .ogg file, rename it to Charger_Connection.ogg and place it in the <your Android SDK install directory>/tools folder.

Then, follow these instructions:

Connect USB to phone with USB Debugging ON (Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging)
    Open a Windows Command prompt in the Android SDK install directory
    cd tools
    adb push Charger_Connection.ogg /sdcard
    adb shell
    su
    cp /system/media/audio/ui/Charger_Connection.ogg /sdcard/Charger_Connection.ogg.bak
    cp /sdcard/Charger_Connection.ogg /system/media/audio/ui/Charger_Connection.ogg
    exit
    exit

You can also do this to change other system audio files, like low battery (TW_Low_Battery.ogg), camera click (camera_click_short.ogg), unlocking the phone (TW_Unlock.ogg), etc.

Let me know if these instructions don't make sense!

RonH54 likes this.
  4. RonH54

Thanks for reply. I already have my Captivated Rooted with USB drivers and Busybox. I also already have the file converted to .ogg format. When I start running the Command Prompts I do ok until it get to cp /system/media/audio/ui/Charger_Connection.ogg /sdcard/Charger_Connection.ogg.bak Command. I get file not found?

5. LukeOlson

Sorry, I've updated the directions. Try "mv" rather than "cp".

6. RonH54

Thanks for update. One other question, is there "space" after the Charger_Connection.ogg before /sdcard ? And also a "space" after the mv before the /system?

Thanks

7. LukeOlson

Yes, that is correct.

8. RonH54

OK, I ran the command sequence and very step seemed to work(I got no error messages) but the the USB Connection sound is still the Default one. I powered the phone Off then On to see it that did anything and it didn't. I Know the Sound I what to use is in the correct .ogg format and it does play if I test it out on my computer but it appears that the New sound didn't overwrite or replace the Default one. I just had my phone in DeBugged Mode I didn't have it Mounted,should I have? It seems like last night when I first tried this at one point my phone ask me if I wanted to "Grant Rights",I didn't see this time. I can't remember if I had phone Mounted last night or not. Also since I have my phone Rooted can I go into this Directory I am working in and see if the ".bak" file I created and the new .ogg are there?

Thanks for all your help

9. LukeOlson

Turns out it IS supposed to "cp" and not "mv"... Can you try again with "cp" and if it doesn't work, copy the console output (right-click in the command prompt -> Select All -> right click again in the command prompt) and paste it in here so I can see what's going on?

Thanks!

10. RonH54

I opened my Root Explorer app and in the sdcard directory the new Charger_Connection.ogg file is there and it plays but it not in any sub directory. I'll give it another try. So since it did at least copy the file to the sdcard I don't need the phone Mounted?

11. LukeOlson

You shouldn't need the phone mounted.

If you've got Root Explorer and the new .ogg is already on the sdcard, just navigate to the /system/media/audio/ui folder and rename the existing Charger_Connection.ogg to Charger_Connection.ogg.bak and then move the /sdcard/Charger_Connection.ogg to /system/media/audio/ui.

12. RonH54

I hate you taking all this time but how do I rename and then move files? I am in the system/media/audio/ui folder and I see the file I need to rename

13. LukeOlson

No problem, I really don't mind.

Try long-pressing on the file you want to rename or move... You should see a menu come up that gives you the options to rename or move the file.

14. RonH54

You are the MAN, I got the "Droid.ogg" now as my Connection sound. Thanks for all the help. I am going to save this Post to text for future reference. If you don't mind one last unrelated question since you seem to know your stuff. I posted this on a "Captivate Forum" here but you might know the answer.

"I am new to Captivate phone. A time or 2 my phone has rung a "Standard phone ring". One time it rang just once another time it Rang and Rang but I never saw any type of Notification as what this was. It not my Default Ringtone for anything. Both times it has happened I have had my phone plugged into my computer."

15. LukeOlson

Yeah, that has happened to me before too... I'm assuming that in addition to having your phone plugged into your computer, your phone was mounted. When your phone is mounted, your phone can't access files on the SD card (such as ringtones) because they are being accessed by your computer. So when somebody calls, or you get a notification, it plays a default system notification that isn't stored on the SD card, because it can't access the ringtones stored on your SD card until you un-mount.

I'm glad I could help!

RonH54 likes this.
  16. RonH54

I hit Thanks for you and you reallyl earned it. The main reason I got an Droid phone was the ability to do these type of things to it. I am sure iPhone has work around things also but Droid just more "Computer like" when doing these things.

Thanks again
    Ron

17. RonH54

Your info got me thinking about other ways to do different sound changes. I wanted to change my Power On Sound. I found out File Name of this Sound where it was stored and that it was in Wav format. So I created a Wav I wanted to use on my Computer and named it Correctly then loaded it to my External SD card in my phone. I then used Root Explorer App, went to where the Original File was stored,renamed it then copied my New File from my External Card to the appropriate Directory and it worked like a charm.

18. LukeOlson

Cool that it worked for you.

You could do the same thing to one of the system notification or voice call ringtones, and then you could have your custom ringtone, even when your phone is mounted to a computer. Just an idea.

19. RonH54

Good point I hadn't thought of that.

20. Funtuna Mc

Funtuna Mc New Member

The sound I want to change on my android (startup) is in MP3 format. Is there any restrictions for that?