Changing Android???

Last Updated:

1. zepplinne

zepplinne New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm about to pick up the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, seems to be an amazing phone. One of the biggest downfalls is that until the end of 2010, it is stuck at Android 1.6 because Sony still needs some time to port their skin over to the new version. I hear that this is a problem with a lot of other 3rd party developers as well.

What my question is: would it be possible to put the regular version of Android on this phone, rather than the proprietary one that comes with it? I honestly couldn't care less about the fancy interface that Sony has put on it, and would much rather have an updated OS.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. thaden0

thaden0 Active Member

Doing that would require rooting your device and putting a custom rom on it.
    I did a quick look, saw that you can root the device but was unable to find you any custom roms. You may want to do some digging yourself though as I only did a couple pages on google.

Anyways, IF there is a 2.1 or 2.2 rom made, it would not be difficult to get that on your device (assuming it's not to much different to other devices). Prolly 30 min work with some careful reading. But, IMHO, the fact its taking so long for sony to get this update out is a bad sign. I think there working on 2.1 (2.2 is a special one because it adds flash, ull miss that). How long will it be until you get 2.2.. or 3.0? Usually its best to buy a device with the software it has.. promised software often gets un-promised. Becareful buying a 1.6 device.