Support Changing boot anim - old anim still shows??

1. nyssa

nyssa Well-Known Member

So I have the Nexus boot anim installed on my Touchpad currently (I installed it by flashing it, which I was told here wasn't supposed to have worked, but somehow it did so I didn't bother questioning it much). I'm trying to replace it with a new boot anim, but even though I have deleted the bootanimation.zip in my system/media folder and replaced it with this new one, the old one is still loading...is there some secondary place the old one might be loading from? (I did attempt to check data/local, but there isn't a /local folder.) Or do I need to clear some cache somewhere? I'm totally confused why the old one is still loading...

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

There IS a /data/local folder. I use it all the time and it takes priority over the other one AND survives a reinstall of the rom (if you don't wipe data).

Keep looking. You need a root enabled file browser. :D

I use Root Explorer, but ES File Explorer is free.
  3. nyssa

nyssa Well-Known Member

I use ES File Explorer. I've checked, the data folder appeared empty (and yes, root browsing was enabled).

What's weird is that maaaybe 1/3 times I try, the local folder DOES show up, and I was able to delete the copy and change the boot anim. But it doesn't always show up, because when I went back in to edit the boot anim I couldn't get to the folder again. Didn't feel like the hassle, so I just left it rather than trying again.
  4. colchiro

I've never had issues changing a boot animation with CM7 or CM9. I just changed mine on my phone after a new CM9 rom install last night.
  5. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member

In ICS I believe there are 2 locations for bootanimation.zip files to be installed. The "factory" location is under /system/media/ and the alternative is under /data/local/. As colchiro pointed out, even though the system/media location is the stock/factory one, the data/local one overrides it. I have run half a dozen bootanimation.zips on my Nexus with no problem....just delete whichever one is in the data/local folder and paste in a new one.
  6. colchiro

If you might want to go back to it, don't delete it, just rename it by adding a few letters so maybe bootanimation.zip to bootanimation1.zip