• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing contact type?

Jan 11, 2010
All my contacts from my old phone seem to have been saved as Google contacts. But when I have been adding new contacts to the phone the past few months, for some reason, I always choose to not add them as Google contacts so they weren't synced to my Gmail. When I check my GMail contacts, all my old phone contacts are there, but not my new ones.

Is it possible for me to change existing contacts not saved as Google contacts as Google contacts? Otherwise, when I do hard resets, I only get the same contacts from my old phone, and none of the new ones since then.

I would like to know how to do this as well. I just got my phone last night and spent about an hour manually adding a ton of contacts. I had no idea you had to select google as the type if you wanted it to sync with gmail contacts. I do not want to manually enter them again and hope there's an app or way to just change the contact type from phone to google :(

Upvote 0
I just ended up exporting to the SD card and then importing in gmail so I could pull them back into the phone. The only problem was I forgot to turn off auto sync while doing it and when I was deleting phone contacts to make way for the import it deleted them from gmail too. Luckily I caught it after only losing a couple of contacts. Looks like all is well now, but it seems kind of asinine that there's no way to change the contact type once you add it.

Upvote 0
I have the opposite prob. All the contacts on my desire came from my google account and are all google contacts. The downside - when i use HTC sync to connect to Outlook (I need a local copy) nothing syncs. Same is true of all my google calendar entries.

This seems absurd - am I supposed to maintain two lists - one to sync with outlook and one with google - of the same contacts??

Upvote 0
There is a Google Contact Sync that runs in Windows and is supposed to sync Google contacts with Outlook, so Google online becomes the "central" store and both Outlook and handset sync with it.

There's no other free way to sync Google contacts with Outlook - yes, you have two sets on contacts....one for Google and one for USB syncing to Outlook. Sucky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones