Changing From CWM recovery to Smelkus

Last Updated:

1. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have 2 EVOs, one originally had Amon RA 2.3 and the other one has CWM Revolutionary v 4.0.1.4

I was able to change the Amon RA one to Smelkus mod yet when I used the same file, I could not update the CWM one. It won't read the PCIMG36.zip file. Everything was the exact same. What can I do next? I redownloaded and still the bootloader won't read it.

Advertisement
  2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

Hey there,

I used Revolutionary to root so i have skipped a lot of problems later rooters have had. How did you root your phones?

REason I ask is it seems that determines which recovery you should use for some reason I should know, but don't.

See this post as to which version to use,
    Other than that, maybe make sure the file is really named right. It is easy to see what you have it named by using a filemanager right on the phone.

hope that helps till someone more informed comes along
    ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  3. tube517

The EVO w/Amon RA was rooted via Unrevoked. I was able to update to Smelkus fine. The other EVO w/CWM was rooted via Revolutionary> This was the one I could not update to Smelkus. This one was software ver 4.67....The file was renamed right because I used it successfully in the first one.

The links in the post don't link to any downloads.
  4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hey hey there guys!
    Hey tube, the phone with cwm....is that phone s-off? then any recovery flashed via PC36IMG method should work...however, if it is unlocked, s-on, then
    like Dust says, the PC36IMG recovery files found here should work. Just scroll thru the htcdev method and look for installing recovery.
    What error are you getting?

Edit: well, your post beat mine and answered some questions :)
    ocnbrze and tube517 like this.
  5. tube517

Thanks Mike. I get no error. When bootloader looks for PCIMG36, it just does nothing w/no error message. It goes on like normal.

It is strange because the first did it on the first try. The second one just goes on like normal and it doesn't ask me to update.
  6. Mikestony

hmmmm...and I know you know what yer doing, but, just have to ask, that makes me wonder if its in some folder on your sd card when it should be at root level of sd card...perhaps double check that?
  7. dustwun77

sorry about no working links. :eek: so much for copying... :)

I wonder if you have a bad download on the one that doesn't work?
    Mikestony likes this.
  8. tube517

I downloaded the Amon RA in the guide in your post. Even though I wanted Smelkus, I wanted to try and see if that would work. It did not work :confused:
  9. Mikestony

The only thing I can suggest is installing via adb or Android Flasher.
    hmmmmm
    tube517 likes this.
  10. tube517

Yeah, I may try the 99 cent app, Flash Image GUI from the Play store.

What is "Android Flasher"? I could not find that app?
  11. Mikestony

There is a link to it in the link I linked in my post with the link...:D lol
    Its in the guide with the options for recovery install....I linked to that guide earlier up a couple posts or so.

Edit: better yet...here ya go

Edit again....
    tube517, ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

and what size card do you have?
    dustwun77 and Mikestony like this.
  13. dustwun77

Getting sort of personal there, Ocn, aren't you???? :D
  14. Mikestony

HA! that's funneee.
    Mine is about the biggest that will fit into the phone:p but bigger is not always better as in the case of the rom I run. I need to get a smaller one.
    tube517, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  15. ocnbrze

mine is 32", i mean 32g:eek::D

edit: sorry op back to business everyone.
    tube517, dustwun77 and Mikestony like this.
  16. dustwun77

you are thinking he might have the infamous 2 gig card that has problems, I take it?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  17. tube517

:laugh:

Mike started it with "Android Flasher" :p

So, since this is the EVO that has the bad USB port and is not connected to any service, it has the 2 GB card in it. It's my experimenting/flashoholic ROM phone.

Is the 2GB card the issue?
    Mikestony, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  18. ocnbrze

BINGO!!!!!!
    yep

the evo has issues with 2g cards. you need another card and you should be fine after that.
    Mikestony, tube517 and dustwun77 like this.
  19. tube517

And that's why we all post here because between all of us, we can find the probable cause. Thanks every one! I will be looking out for some bargains on cards. :D

(Note: the EVO that I was successful in putting Smelkus on, has a 32 gb card. This is the EVO currently connected to Boost service.
    dustwun77 and Mikestony like this.
  20. Mikestony

YAY Ocn, I need to remember that about 2gb cards!!:D
    ocnbrze likes this.