Changing Froyo OS from Asia to Europe for the HTC Desire Z?General

Last Updated:

1. K-Tak

K-Tak Member This Topic's Starter

I have just recieved my HTC Desire Z from Hong Kong and I've noticed the languages available are quite limited, especially the keyboard input which only has the Thai input option.

Is there a way I can change this or change the OS from the Asia pacific region to the Europe one?

Also, I was under the impression that the Desire Z would have the swype function. Was I mistaken as I cannot locate it?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, K-Tak.

I've moved your question to the HTC Desire Z area of the forums for you.

3. Menddles

Menddles Guest

Welcome. Are you saying that you can't find the English setting or that you don't know how to change it to the English setting? If it's the latter then to change the keyboard its:

For the Language
    Menu>Settings>Language and Keyboard>Select Language

For the Keyboard
    Menu>Settings>Language and Keyboard>Touch input>Hardware keyboard settings>default Language

*Edit*
    I never heard of swype coming with the phone. It didn't come with mine.

4. K-Tak

Hey Menddles,
    I've actually had a look under those settings and this is the list that appears:

For language:
    Chinese
    Vietnamese
    Thai
    English (Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Maylasia, Philippines and Pakistan)

no EU, UK, American or Australian :(

Under text settings there's 3 options,
    CN Thai Keyboard
    Touch Input
    Vietnamese IME

I've gone into touch input and the language is already english. :)

Is swype an application or something? Because I was playing with it on my friend's Desire and loved it. Makes typing so much easier on the virtual keyboard (but then again, we have the qwerty keyboard on the Z eh :D hehe)

5. Menddles

Menddles Guest

Hello. I have no idea on what to do next if the language isn't there. Sounds like rooting thing to me. But you'll have to wait and see if anyone passes this thread, hopefully they'll give their 2 cents. Or you can start a new thread in the rooting section and see if you got to root it. Sorry I can't be more help. And you'll never have to buy and use swype! Physical Keyboard FTW!

6. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

The G2, the US version of the Desire Z, does come with swype. That may be the source of your impression. I can assure you that it's quite redundant, though, so you aren't really missing out.

As for language options, if changing the language settings doesn't do it, you can download new keyboards from the Market. I've got a Japanese one that I use called Simeji, that one also does English if it comes to that. You switch keyboards by tapping and holding on any text entry field.

7. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

To get the languages you want, you can flash the handset with the Worldwide English (WWE) firmware.

As for Swype, I believe the T-Mobile licenced Swype for their handsets.

8. K-Tak

Excellent.
    Any idea where I can find this firmware? or how to do it?

9. Slug

Firmware update available here. Install HTC Sync, then connect handset via USB cable and run the RUU .exe file on your PC.

I think generic unbranded devices will accept any HTC-signed updates, but there's a chance that it may not work (i.e. returns an error when you run the .exe) unless you either replace the bootloader with an insecure (S-OFF) version, or create a goldcard.

jc1762 and K-Tak like this.
  10. K-Tak

I don't think I can run it though :(

"Run this RUU ONLY if this was your original firmare (generic european)"

my original firmware isn't generic EU, hence why I don't have the EU/USA English

11. Slug

That "warning" may be simply to avoid users inadvertently changing their locales/languages, which is what you actually want to do.

As I said though, it may just throw an error and refuse to install. If so, then I think you'll have to follow the "How to Debrand" procedure outlined here.

12. K-Tak

so I attempted to install it and it wouldn't let me the first time.
    I created a gold card from one of the guides at XDA and it still returned an error. :(

I'm not too fussed about it I suppose. The phone works perfectly and everything. Was just curious to know why i didn't have any of the Western English languages. This shouldn't impact the use of the phone at all right?

EDIT: also tried rooting it and that didnt go well for some reason. followed the instructions perfectly and it ended up in a force close loop when it tried to load up the OS. Had to force a factory reset on the phone.

13. andrepinto

andrepinto New Member

I have also the same problem as you K-tak. I only see english variants for asia. I`d like to have a european version with the languages like english, spanish, portuguese and french. I have no idea how to change the locale of the phone.

14. K-Tak

Download the following app:
    *** MoreLocale2 ***

it'll allow you to change it to one of the above options. :D

15. andrepinto

andrepinto New Member

Morelocale2 just works. Thanks

16. Spamdroid

Spamdroid New Member

My Desire came with the same issues, however I downloaded Swype (it did not come pre installed), and my text input so far has been fine!

Oh, and if anyone needs to download Swype, the download link is: Swype | Text Input for Screens

jc1762 likes this.