• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing Gmail Account...

kct1975

Android Expert
Sep 26, 2011
NoVA
I am sure this has been asked, but I am not sure where so...

I currently have an OG EVO as my personal mobile phone device. I am planning on upgrading it to a LTEVO, and using my OG EVO as my work mobile phone device.

I would like to remove my personal Gmail account and my personal address book from my OG EVO.

And before anyone says it, I know I will have to have a Gmail account on the phone for it to work. I am planning on creating a seperate Gmail account and use it with the company Active Sync account.

So how do I remove my current Gmail account and address book from my OG EVO and replace it without doing a Factory Reset?

Is there anyway to do that?

If you're going to keep the phone, one reason to stay on the same Google account is your apps. All free apps will still download, but your paid apps are still tied to your current account, and some of those apps will check with the Play store to see if you're logged into the correct account. I tried to sideload a few apps onto my Kindle Fire only to have them fail and not run or exit with an error.

If you're still set on removing the account, Factory reset is your fastest safest way. It will remove all of the settings and put you in a clean state...

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
If you're going to keep the phone, one reason to stay on the same Google account is your apps. All free apps will still download, but your paid apps are still tied to your current account, and some of those apps will check with the Play store to see if you're logged into the correct account. I tried to sideload a few apps onto my Kindle Fire only to have them fail and not run or exit with an error.

If you're still set on removing the account, Factory reset is your fastest safest way. It will remove all of the settings and put you in a clean state...

Thanks....so is there at least a way to have my current Gmail account on both my OG EVO and the LTEVO?

Upvote 0
You could also remove the account from "Account & Sync" in settings. And yes, you can have one gmail account on more than one device.

Thanks So Much!

That would be a perfect solution!

Checking the Setting Option you mentioned, I can turn off the Gmail Contacts sync and clear out all of my personal contacts when I make switch this device to a work phone!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks....so is there at least a way to have my current Gmail account on both my OG EVO and the LTEVO?

Yes you can add your account to as many phones as you like. If you want to remove account contacts, calendars etc go into settings>accounts & sync then uncheck the account you don't want to sync. You will need to clear calendar, contact storage & gmail data via manage apps if you want old data removed then resync the accounts you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones