Changing gmail accountGeneral

1. trevh

trevh Member

When I first registered my Ace, I made up a random email account. I've now got a decent email account and have used it for my Tab 2. I want to sync the two and have to change the default account on the ace to use Google Calendar.

Having searched the internet I think I'm resigned to having to reset my phone.

So the questions are:

If I reset, what do I lose.
    How do I backup the things I lose to restore to my new account name after the restart?

I would not want to restart only to find I could not restore contacts, texts, pictures etc.

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

You'd lose all your settings etc and anything you've put on the phone (pics etc would be ok as they're on the SD Card).

Also, as you're linking the phone to a new gmail account, any apps you'd bought with the old account wouldn't be usable.

However, you can have more than one gmail account associated with a handset. Just add your new one via the accounts and sync menu, then select what aspects of the new account you want to sync with the handset (calendar/gmail etc).
  3. trevh

trevh Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have both accounts registered on my Ace, but I have 2 problems.

Google calendar is not available for the Ace.

So I installed Business Calendar, but that is only associated with the first account I registered the phone with.

This 2 accounts thing is stopping me keeping the 2 devices in sync :-(
  4. El Presidente

Ah, ok.

Take a look at Carbon Backup. That will backup your apps and data and reapply them without the need for root.

In theory, this should work -

Backup with Carbon, factory reset, link the new gmail account to the Ace, once done, do the same for the second. Restore your apps etc (don't restore the calendar app though) using Carbon then reinstall the calendar app via Play. That way, both accounts are linked to the handset, so any paid apps etc will still be usable and the new gmail account will be the primary account.

Make sense?
  5. trevh

trevh Member

Unfortunately Carbon is not compatible eith the Ace. Can you suggest another app?
  6. El Presidente

All the other backup apps need root, sorry :(

What about another calendar app? Jorte?
  7. trevh

trevh Member

Oh cr@p.
    Backed everything up using SMS Backup and Restore (pretty sure thats the right app) to folder /mnt/sdcard/SmsContactBackup as .xml files.
    Now I can't restore them.
  8. ayush29k

ayush29k Well-Known Member

use MyBackup, it doesn't need root to backup user data
  9. trevh

trevh Member

Got everything back, or so I thought.
    Didn't back up my postit notes and I'm a big notes user. So they've all gone.
    Oh well, phone and tab now in sync.