Changing "home," turn off old widgets?

Last Updated:

1. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,
    I recently added home++, changing for the better the way my droid looks and works. But of course I can change back to my native "home" (or whatever you call it) by using the "home chooser." When I go back all the original widgets and settings are still there. Does this slow down the droid, use battery life, or take up too much space? I don't want to delete the original home just in case home++ doesn't work for me in a few days. Should I do anything to optimize running both "homes?"

Advertisement
  2. mtrish88

mtrish88 Member

It shouldnt because you are using the home++ app instead of the default home. Dont delete the default home app just in case you may need to go back to it if home++ starts to have problems. I've used home++ and i didnt like it because the app it self slowed my phone down so i just went back to using the default home app..but also everyone and every phone is different, meaning an app could work for one person and not another and it could work well on one phone and not the other, ive seen alot of this.

3. andadroid

Thanks mtrish,
    I wouldn't uninstall the native home app, but I was thinking of parring it down--getting rid of all widgets, etc. But if they're not slowing me down I may just leave it.

As far as home++, can't tell if it's slow yet. The droid is fairly new, and I'm coming from an eris, so it's all fast...However it's frozen three times now. I get the "home++ is not responding. Force quit." So while I like the app, it may need to go if it keeps actin' up.

I want a nice custom home, but I don't want to pay for apps without previewing them, and I'm too chicken to root my $600 devise like the cool kids...

4. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

Honestly I had no background knowledge of Linux or Rooting whatsoever and I just rooted today... just follow this guide.
    From stock 2.0.1 >to> Sholes.info ROM..STEP BY STEP..NO ADB involved. NOOB CHALLENGE! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    Could not be any simpler.

5. andadroid

I might root in the future, but I'm hard on my phones and always get insurance. Last phone had 3 replacements. I'd hate to break the droid somehow, be unable to unroot it in its broken state, then have verizon tell me they won't replace it b/c I voided the terms of service. Paranoid I know, but until rooting gets me multitouch/flash/or something else I really want I think I'll leave it as is.

6. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Rooting will get you multi-touch. When rooted you can install the native milestone browser which has very fluid multi-touch

7. andadroid

Damn--multitouch huh...well then, until flash! hulu would convince me to void my terms of service.

8. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Lol yeah, that's what I really want as well. I just hope we get it before hulu starts charging that subscription fee. I was rooted but I only did it cause I wanted to change my boot animation andx when I rfealized I didn't need that I unrooted. But I've been wanting to root to overclock to 800mhz I just don't have the resourc@es right now because my laptop is out of commision :(

9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

If you're using a home replacement app, the default launcher IS running in the background, so those widgets are taking up system resources.

It's up to you if you want to disable them or not, but it will improve performance/lower memory use.

As for Flash, it's coming as soon as Adobe releases it. Rooting won't help bring it any faster. What it will do is make your phone much more functional :D

10. andadroid

Yeah, I imagine I'll want to overclock down the road. But probably not until android has had a few more upgrades. Let's say in a year we have android 2.5 or 3, and all the devises are much more powerful, bumping the clock speed might be worth it. But till then I'm fast enough. Don't want to worry about overheating and, again, voiding the insurance that I will undoubtedly use. But I'm not really a tech guy, so droid as is is awesome enough (except for flash...)