Changing kernels - few questions

Last Updated:

1. Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday I flashed KingxKlick's BFS kernel#1 onto my phone running Ruby 1.1.1 and I'm not getting the great results most other people are getting. Besides that my phone is a little buggy on it. I've had two instances where I can't wake the screen unless I pull the battery and there's a few other issues that are making me want to get off this kernel and try some others. I did clear the dalvik cache before flashing btw.

I'm wondering, can I just drop the next kernel I want to try onto the root of my sd card, clear the dalvik, and flash the new one using clockwork? Or is there more to it than that?
    Also... Is there another cache I'm supposed to clear before flashing kernels or is it just the dalvik?

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Yeah, for kernel flashes that's about it.

3. Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Cool, thanks. Seems simple enough.
    I read a few posts where people mention wiping the cache first but I wasn't sure if they were just referring to the dalvik. Poking around in clockwork menus I did see other cache options so I just wanted to be certain.
    Thanks again! :D

4. teacha6141

teacha6141 Member

Dont have to backup or clear cache to install new Kernels..Give Hydra 1.5 a shot works great on my droid incredible..great "overclocking" and also slows down during non use to improve battery life.

5. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

While you technically don't have to clear cache to install a new kernel, I tend to recommend clearing the dalvik cache when doing so. You mileage may vary.

6. Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Since it can't hurt to clear the davlik I'm going to do it between flashes. I've been on adrynalyne's kernal for AOSP ROMs all day and so far so good. This kernel in combination with Set CPU seems to give pretty good battery life for me.

Will the Hydra kernels work on AOSP ROMs?