Changing my gmail addressSupport

Last Updated:

1. danidrag4

danidrag4 Member This Topic's Starter

I am changing my e-mail address. How do I eliminate mt current gmail account that gets sent to my hone and replace it with a new gmail account?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Simple Answer ... Export any Contacts you want to preserve in your Gmail account on the net..

Set up your new Gmail account and import your previously saved contacts ...
    on the web.

Reset you phone to factory setting ... in the system under "SD card & Phone Storage" ..."Factory Reset" and re-intialize the phone under the New Gmail Account ...

You May loose any apps you had and did not backup to your SDCard for easy reinstall...

3. justjimjpc

Didnt know that setup wizard would preserve your apps and your contacts when you are registering the phone under a new gmail account ... I would think if the New email account was empty to contacts ... that when/if your phone syncs ... then wipe-ooooh-shit gone are the contacts ... but not sure which has ruling ?? PC_web-Contacts .. or Phone ... Assuming (bad maybe) that the Gmail on the web is the Boss .. ?

So if I sell my phone the next guy just runs Setup wizard and he has everything I had ?

4. justjimjpc

So, Gmail contacts will not wipe the contacts that are already on the phone .. if I start with an empty slate in the Gmail Account ?

And if so, then all old contacts would get uploaded to the Web(Cloud) Contacts ?

5. justjimjpc

There was a post on here where a guy lost all of his contacts from his Gmail and then when the phone sync'd he said that they were then wiped from his phone ....

That is why I would backup my contacts ... prior to changing email accounts ...
    maybe overcautious ... But he lost something like 1500 contacts ...

6. justjimjpc

Here Is what I Found from prior Posts ...

7. justjimjpc

I am overly cautious perhaps ... in backups ... been zonked to many times ... and said "If ONLY ! " :eek:

8. justjimjpc

LOL oooh dont be sensitive ... was just my opinion and advice ... no better or worse than anyone else's ...

9. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

lol you two are cute together.

10. justjimjpc

Awwwwh That is so sweet of you to say Phases ! ;)

11. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

BUMP!

Can you confirm whether the contacts you are discussing above, are the email contacts, or the phonebook contacts that could be lost? Cheers

12. justjimjpc

Well, in this context we where talking about contacts on the phone ... so that could include both if there where contacts that you had their email address as well as their phone info on their contact entry ....

The phone only has Contacts .... not a separate contact database for phone and another for emails ...

13. Type-R

Type-R New Member

A question, if I reset my G1 T-mobile, you said that I could lose some apps, i'm clear about it...the question is, Dont matter what kind of SIM card I have? because a friend told me that I need a SIM data card but I have a normal SIM 128kb of Claro.

Help me Please..

Thanks.

Note: I dont know the Gmail password that my G1 have, that's the reason that I want to change it, I want to put my Gmail address.

Thanks again.