Changing reply to email address..Support

Last Updated:

1. Mark One

Mark One Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all - I'm a winmo convert and just setting up my new Desire. All pretty good so far.

I'd like to be able to change the from/replyto address on an account in the the Mail application (as opposed to the Gmail one) but can't find an option to.

I have mail from my primary account forwarding to my gmail account which syncs with the Desire and I want to be able to reply using my primary address rather than the gmail one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, M1

Advertisement
  2. Mark One

I'll add that to the "basic functionality that can't be done" list then ...

3. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

When your emails are forwarded from account A are they deleted?

4. Mark One

er.. no - but that's the set up I have with my ISP. My email arrives in my gmail account just fine - I just want to be able to reply to email received on my xxx@xxx account using the email address yyy@yyy.

In a normal email client I would just edit the Email / Reply To address to do this but this option does not seem to be available on the stock HTC mail client.

But then again nor is "select all" for marking or deleting so unless I'm mistaken this is something else I'm just going to have to live with :(

No way I'll be leaving Android as a result tho :)

5. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

Well to be fair I don't think it's a basic thing as you suggest. The reason I ask about the email deletion is that you could set up a normal email connection to account A and then reply from that if you need to.

Or can't you get pop3/IMAP access to that account?

6. TheOriginalKi

TheOriginalKi Member

I know you say you want to use the stock mail program, as did I... but I ended up using the gmail app to do this.

Using gmail on the PC, I have it fetch my primary emails via Pop3 (which granted is a little slow), then I have that same primary account added into the send from/as list via smtp and it's set to default. This means that any thing I send from gmail on the pc or gmail app sends as this default address, however if I use the mail program, it says it's coming from my gmail address.

7. declanh

declanh Active Member

easiest route to solve this is to use K9 Email app which supports identities - this will do exactly as you want.

8. Mark One

Thanks all. Will take a look at the K9 app.

9. CanadaG

CanadaG New Member

I just switched to Android and I need this feature as well. My email address is set up as a forwarder and I don't need an inbox for it. I simply need to change the reply-to address.

This is, in fact, a VERY basic, standard feature in any email client I've used on any platform (mobile or otherwise).

K-9 doesn't have it either. The setup portion of K-9 is identical to the default eMail app and this simple missing feature is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

10. jblessing

jblessing Active Member

K9 does support this feature. Account settings, send settings, manage identities.

11. JimTheGlawsFan

JimTheGlawsFan New Member

I use this feature too, as get work emails forwarded to my old Yahoo! account. I don't want my work email looking like it comes from a @yahoo.co.uk email (and therefore get replies to an address that isn't my work one - so it won't be on my work email server). I think this is a pretty basic thing, I mean my old Nokia allowed me to change the reply to address!
    Will have to have another look at the K9 app too...

12. bigt

bigt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    if you go to gmail.com from your PC it is not hard to set up, then it works on the desire (see above).