Changing Rom

1. gavin08

gavin08 Well-Known Member

Hi
    This is a noob question but how do I change my rom? I'm on swedish spring but want to change to Japense Jellyfish. I have done all rooting and got clockwork etc. Just a bit unsure how to change. I'm just a little worried that the way I think will get wrong just asking.

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Vorbis

Vorbis Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new to this melarky so I would advise you wait for confirmation from Shadowninty or one of the other Blademasters in these here parts before proceeding!

First make sure the ROM is compatible with your Blade. There are Gen1 ROMs and Gen2 ROMs. Download Ask Mr Pigfish from the market if you are not sure.

Place the JJ zip file on your SD card

Check the MD5 sum is good. When you downloaded the JJ ROM there should have been a string listed after if (for example: 1698CF7AF9D130B02DDC471D089751D8). Download ASTRO file manager off the market and run this. Run it and hold your finger on the zip file and select details. After about a minute it will tell you the MD5 sum. This should match what was listed when you downloaded it.

Provided this is all good, and you have sufficient battery power, you can shut down your phone, leave it a few seconds, then power it on holding menu and volume down. This should boot you into clockwork recovery mode.

From here you can backup your current setup (might be wise in case things go wrong). When you're ready to proceed select install zip from sdcard (navigate with volume up and down buttons and select an option with the home key). Select choose zip from sdcard. You should be able to navigate to your rom now and choose a zip to apply.

It should then install the ROM.

I'm not sure about wiping caches and stuff. I haven't been doing this when switching CyanogenMod 7 nightlies.
  3. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

Swedish Spring is the successor to JJ. Its based off an official ROM. I would not recommend downgrading to it at all
  4. gavin08

I was told on Modaco that Japense Jellyfish has longer battery life. I seem to have less than a day battery life on Swedish Spring. Could you advise on the best rom with battery life?
  5. ElasticNinja

Ginger Stir Fry.
  6. gavin08

I'm not on Gen2.
  7. ElasticNinja

8. dannymur

dannymur Well-Known Member

Jazuz, yer a great man for de ould TpT sn :D

I'm goin' to GSF very soon, prolly 2morro.....lookin good.

You recommend?
  9. ElasticNinja

Its good, I miss the features from CM tho
  10. Vorbis

Vorbis Well-Known Member

Oh you're running Ginger Stir Fry yourself Shadowninty? *gasps*

How does it compair? You were a die hard CM7 enthusiast! Which features are you missing?

Battery life any good?
  11. ElasticNinja

No, but I used it for a few hours :D
    Battery life is better according to everyone who tried it basically
  12. Vorbis

Vorbis Well-Known Member

Your comment plus your empty signature made me think you'd defected from CM7! :p

Will have to wait for a review from dannymur then. :D
  13. gavin08

I want to change to Gen 2 but it seems hard. And I can't find any instructions which are easy to understand thats why I want to find a Rom which has long lasting battery for Gen1. If anyone would like to make a Gen 2 instuction help thread it would really help alot.
  14. ElasticNinja

15. gavin08

I've read that and tried it but just don't really get it and I can't use it.
  16. ElasticNinja

You unzip it to your SD card (creating an /image folder) and hold Menu + Volume Up at boot
  17. gavin08

Did you use this one?
    Ginger Stir Fry B9 Gen1 Upgrade TPT
    Download: gsf-blade-b9-tpt.zip mirror mirror
    Download size: 101.03mb
    MD5: 60a541641bf1062414c799c8e3345dbc
  18. ElasticNinja

No but it will work fine
  19. gavin08

Which one did you use?
  20. ElasticNinja

The v7b.
    But you want Ginger Stir Fry right? So the all in one is the easiest way to go about it
  21. gavin08

Ok then thanks.
  22. gavin08

23. ElasticNinja

Just download from one of the links, its all the same
    gavin08 likes this.
  24. gavin08

Is it best that I do a backup or is there no point?
  25. ElasticNinja

You can do a Nandroid, just in case, and if you want to restore some apps data use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root
    gavin08 likes this.