• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing/Setting Device Name

Hi,

Does anyone know how to change/set the name of the device as seen by other devices on the network and indeed as uses by the Citrix environment variable "clientname".

We use a Citrix application that takes the "clientname" and uses it to identify which branch you are in. Unless we can change the device name to meet our naming convention then the device is useless to us.

This must be possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its android 3.1 and a Toshiba AT100-100

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, I've moved to the Thrive subforum (the AT-100's name in the US), hopefully a user of the device will be able to assist.

I'm pretty positive you need to be rooted to change the device name. I don't recall being able to do it when I was using a stock ROM on my phone, however now I'm running CM7, I can change it.

This method is for a rooted Gingerbread phone, not an unrooted Honeycomb tablet, but you might want to try Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Device hostname.

Like I say, I'm not entirely sure that would work for you, but there's no harm in giving it a shot anyway. Hopefully someone with a Thrive will be able to give you a definitive yay or nay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones