Changing the 4 fixed apps on the home screensTips

1. tomyellowblue

tomyellowblue Member

I posted this in another thread but I thought people would be more likely to see it here.

You can change the 4 bottom icons without installing a new launcher. I removed the Messaging app and put Gmail there. Look at page 40 of the manual under "Adding and Removing Primary Shortcuts".

It's something like this:
    * Home -> Applications
    * Menu -> View Type -> Customizable Grid
    * Menu -> Edit -> Ok
    * Drag the app you want to the bottom, it will switch places
    * Menu -> Save
    * Menu -> View Type -> Alphabetical list

Advertisement
    Rogobono likes this.
  2. surgerush

surgerush Well-Known Member

I did not know that, good fact to know... I still highly suggest replacing the touchwiz launcher though. It really does make a big difference, the touchwiz launcher runs horribly on this phone, there really isn't much of a plus to keep the touchwiz launcher at all.
  3. flapjacky

flapjacky Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've been trying to find a new launcher that still had the stock program monitor widget. It would never show up when I tried to add the widget. Now I get to replace the default messenger. This was very helpful!
  4. edenney

edenney Member

Read this once before somewhere and used it to customize my old phone, then I couldn't remember how to do it again with my new one. Could they possibly have made this process more cryptic/hard to find? It's such a useful feature, you'd think they'd make its existence well known and easy to get to. Get a clue Android, I'm running ICS now and you still haven't improved this process.
  5. BadWolf47

BadWolf47 Active Member

I hated TouchWiz within a few days after getting the phone. I run HoloLauncher now and it's great!

Ironically, I do like the version of TW that's on my Galaxy Tab 2. I think the dual-core processor and ICS can handle it a lot better.